Author Topic: Mlitary Medals  (Read 3101 times)

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mlitary Medals
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 July 15 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Swally,
               "The Hamilton Advertiser"  Saturday, February 2nd, 1918.
     War Honours. - Information has been received by their friends that the following local soldiers have been awarded honours for distinguished conduct in the field:-
     Military Cross - Coy. Sergeant-Major J. Johnstone, Royal Scots, whose family reside at 2 May Cottage, Morningside, Newmains;
     Military Medal - Sapper Robert Forbes, Royal Engineers, elder son of Mr George Forbes, grocer, Cambusnethan;
     Mentioned in despatches - Quarter-master Sergeant Peter Proudfoot, Lanarkshire Yeomanry, a well known local footballer.

From information in the following articles, the John Johnstone, Highland Light Infantry, awarded the Military Medal (M.M.) appears to be a different soldier.
               "Daily Record"  Wednesday, 15th August, 1917.
     Mrs Johnston, Gowan Brae, Blairmore, formerly of Dunoon, has been notified that her husband, Sergeant John Johnston, M.M., D.C.M., late of Glasgow Police, has been killed in action.
               "Dumfries & Galloway Standard"  Saturday, 25th August, 1917.
     Balmaghie Man Killed. Sergeant John Johnstone, M.M., H.L.I., was killed on 15th July. He was the husband of Mrs Johnstone, Govan Brae, Blairmore, Argyllshire and 4th son of Mr & Mrs R. Johnstone, Shankfoot, Balmaghie. Deceased, who was 33, was a constable in Glasgow before the war. He was awarded the Military Medal for bravery in the field several months ago. Deceased leaves a widow and two children.

(Different spelling in surname and address is from the articles. I think the address is Gowan Brae, Blairmore, not Govan Brae).
               Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 July 15 14:13 BST (UK) »
Reading that article again, I see that Dod is quite right. It does say Military Cross.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 July 15 16:17 BST (UK) »
Dod,

The one that Shaun put up was the correct one, he resided at May Cottages, Morningside, Newmains, Wishaw. He survived the war, Hurragh!

Thanks,

Swally

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 July 15 16:20 BST (UK) »
Dod,

Robert Gordon Forbes – Royal Engineers Military Medal    
Sapper Robert Forbes, Royal Engineers, son of Mr George Forbes, grocer, 272 Cambusnethan Street, has been granted the Military Medal and Certificate in the following terms; “Your Commanding Officer has informed me that you have distinguished yourself by your conduct in the field.  I have read his report with much pleasure. – A.W.Scott, Major General, Commanding 12th Div’n.”  Sapper Forbes, who enlisted at the outbreak of the war, was employed at the time by the burgh electricity department.  At the age of 19 he had been two years at the front, and had undergone some thrilling experiences.  His brother William, who joined the R.F.A. and was for fully a year in France, was transferred to the Royal Engineers and was stationed in England.  The 3rd member of the family, Miss Forbes, also early volunteered for service, and spent a year as a nurse in a military hospital in Manchester.

ta,

Swally   

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 July 15 16:21 BST (UK) »
Peter Proudfoot, have you any further info that connects him to Newmains, Cambusnethan or Morningside?

Ta,

Swally