Author Topic: Newspaper and Criminal Records for Bernard John RYAN  (Read 5675 times)

Offline kentryan55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Newspaper and Criminal Records for Bernard John RYAN
« on: Tuesday 07 July 15 14:54 BST (UK) »
I am looking for newspaper records and criminal records for:

Bernard John RYAN
Born 30 Jan 1889 in Bundamba (Brisbane) Queensland
Father Thomas Edward Ryan - school teacher
Mother Annie Martha Housden Ryan
Bernard John Ryan emigrated to New York City, USA in mid-1910

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper and Criminal Records for Bernard John RYAN
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 18:39 BST (UK) »
Possibly him playing the Piano 1907 ???
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fml/

If he left 1910 for America then there is no further mention.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline kentryan55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 15:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Neil.

I don't believe that is the BJR I had written about. My BJR would have been 18 yrs and I don't believe a piano player at all.

I did go back and look at my records for BJR's dad Thomas Edward Ryan who was a school teacher. After the review I realized that the family lived in Wallangarra beginning around 1908 or late 1907. The document I looked at placed Wallangarra on the Queensland/NSW border so records for BJR might be found in NSW records. I am quite sure that BJR had some "difficulties" that inspired him to leave Australia for USA around June 1910. I have no clue as to whether said difficulties arose to the attention of the police or newspapers. BJR was an adult of 18+ years and I thought his antics might have been brought to the attention of the authorities. Unfortunately, I actually don't know the exact nature of his antics.  Thanks, again.

Kent

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 July 15 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Here is a link to a NSW State Records Office INDEX.  It covers Criminal Depositions received 1849 -1921 (and perhaps more recently too).   I did NOT find your chap listed in that index.   

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/court-records/index-to-criminal-depositions-received-1849-1921

I notice you refer to 18 year olds as adults.   May I mention that until the 1970s, in NSW, both males and females needed to have reached 21 years of age before they were no longer considered minors, so back in 1907-1910 your chap was not yet an adult in a legal sense. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 July 15 02:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Kent,

Any idea on what sort of crimes he may have been involved with and roughly when.

He may have made it into the Qld Police Gazettes

Gerry

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 July 15 02:59 BST (UK) »
What is it with people thinking men and boys didn't play the piano ??? ??? ??? ??? ::)

Neil  :-\

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 July 15 03:12 BST (UK) »
Are you guilty of that fact Neil  ;D  8)  ;)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 July 15 03:28 BST (UK) »
Nope never learnt. :'( But I would have if I could have.... just let someone call me a sissy >:(

;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 July 15 03:39 BST (UK) »
 ;D  So very many of my NSW and Qld ancestors learnt the piano in their childhood.  I have had a quick check, and I see that most of the males seem to have taken up the piano while most of the females took up the violin.   One of the great benefits that Trove provides is the ease at which I can read the music exam results, and basically find so many with annual results right throughout their teenage years. 

None of my rellies would ever have allowed themselves to be called a sissy either.  However, our OP's chap was not 12 years old in 1905 oops,  1907  :-[ .....  so could not be the student in the music results...

I don't believe that is the BJR I had written about. My BJR would have been 18 yrs and I don't believe a piano player at all.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.