Author Topic: William Williams, born 1885/86 in Pwllheli  (Read 7834 times)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Williams, born 1885/86 in Pwllheli
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 12 July 15 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Ladyhawk, no I hadn't so thanks :)

Found a few William Williams, farmer, Aberdaron but not with wife Ann, so tried looking for the same house/farm name from 1891 but couldn't find that either :-[

Looks like the older children are from a first marriage as they are Owens in 1891 and Owen in 1901.

Sorry didn't notice the other surname OWEN in 1891 was concentrating on William son of William Williams  ::)

it look as as if Arthur might have middle name JONES
birth entry 1879 Pwllheli Arthur Jones OWEN
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2XNQ-QNB
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 12 July 15 19:58 BST (UK) »
Here's Ann  Owen on 1881 census with her children Ann 3, Arthur J 1 & Margrate 0
Head of household her father Arthur JONES

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XQWH-4NF

There’s 1885 marriage Pwllheli
Annie Owen name on same page William Williams
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KC2L-C33

ADDED

North Wales BMD gives two surnames for Annie Jones/Owen indicating previous marriage
1885 Aberdaron, St Hywyn

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 July 15 20:21 BST (UK) »
That's fantastic, thanks Ladyhawk, just don't know how to confirm (or otherwise) that it's 'our' William.

I was initially thinking of Pwllheli as the town and hoping there'd be a good match to take forward, but as the registration area is rather large and given the number of WW births there could be more than 1 with father William a farmer. If we could find the family in 1911 with son William that should count him out as he was in Pontypridd by then. 

And I'm concerned as to why he declined to name his father on his 2nd marriage :-\
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 July 15 20:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help :) - you've had more success finding the family than me!

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 12 July 15 20:26 BST (UK) »
If you check the latest census it looks as if this  William's family can be crossed off your list as your William Williams is in Glamorgan and William & Ann's  son surname transcribed as Owen is with them :(

ADDED

thought you hadn't seen it so was just editing and adding it here  :)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 12 July 15 20:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry just edited my post 21 so it made sense running through :-[

Back to the drawing board then, but at least that's one to discount if I ask the GRO for a WW birth in Pwllheli in 1885-1887 with father WW a farmer.   

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 12 July 15 20:28 BST (UK) »
Have a check on here for the birth entry not sure what areas are covered though - perhaps you can match them with the entries on FreeBMD

http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/index.php

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 12 July 15 20:33 BST (UK) »
For 1885/6/7 it produces 342 WW births for the whole area, but there's no Pwllheli area to choose (it's not listed in the coverage either).

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Coming back to this topic following the 1939 register when William gives his DOB as 1 April 1889 - but typically there is no WW birth in Pwllheli in June quarter 1889.

Going on the principle that people knew their birthday if not necessarily the year, and based on his age at 2 marriages and the 1911 which makes his DOB more like 1885 or 1886 I've been looking on FreeBMD for earlier June quarter WW births - there are a few (1 in '85, 2 in '86, none in '87, 3 in '88 and none again in '89).

I was going to email the Gwynedd registration office to see if they would look at the 6 births from 1885 to 1888 (looking for a WW birth on 1 April, father William, farmer) but it doesn't list an email address on FreeBMD. Instead it directs you to NorthWalesBMD. But then Pwllheli doesn't seem to be covered at all - though I don't know the area - so am I missing something? Does it just mean that no Pwllheli records are yet on NorthWalesBMD?

My husband and I have ancestors from many areas of Wales but no others we know of in north west Wales so it would be great if we could discover his birth.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Deirdre