Author Topic: Marriages 1923  (Read 2131 times)

Offline issykirkpatrick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriages 1923
« on: Friday 10 July 15 00:21 BST (UK) »
hello
When researching my family tree I came across this in  'When, Where and How Married'.  "At 11 High Street, Ayr"  and  "Police Constable residing at Constabulary Station, Mossblown, Yarbolton", and in 'If an Irregular Marriage, date of decree of Declaration, or of Sheriff's Warrant'.  It say's  "Warrant of Sheriff Substitute of Ayrshire", and the date, registrar Edward Pow.  I wondered if anyone could help me understand what this means as 'Usual Residence' for the male is Dunskey, Portpatrick and for the female is Palmallet, Whithorn.
Thanks
p.s. It clearly say's Yarbolton on the certificate but seems to also refer to Tarbolton in some way?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Marriages 1923
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 July 15 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi issy,

Looks like the groom was the Policeman?

Posted to Ayr & married there i.e. their usual residences would be just that, meaning they didn't reside in Ayr

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 July 15 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hello,
     Mossblown and Tarbolton are both in Ayrshire, Scotland. So far I've not found anywhere named Yarbolton. If you do not have the Marriage Certificate, but have information from a different source, then Tarbolton might have been misread or misheard. You should be able to view the actual Marriage Certificate on Scotlandspeople.
     Good luck with your search.
               Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline issykirkpatrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 July 15 23:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply's, but I'm no further forward.
On the certificate in the column where it say's at the top of the page "When, Where, and How Married", it mentions a couple of names and "Police Constable residing", as in perhaps - present.
Then in the 'witness' column it say's "Warrant of Sheriff Substitute of Ayrshire".
I assume by this that it was an 'Irregular Marriage'. I just wanted clarification on what this would mean?

Thanks

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 July 15 23:51 BST (UK) »
An Irregular Marriage in Scotland was a Declaration made in front of 2 Witnesses.  And later a visit where it would be registered by the Local Registrar.  Perfectly legal until 1940 I think, - any children born within the marriage were legitimate, so all was fine!

My great grandfather married for the second time, this one was an irregular marriage.  The family were very strong Baptists so I'm picking they wouldn't have been been very happy!

Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 July 15 02:22 BST (UK) »
Hello,
     Sorry, I thought you hadn't viewed the actual Marriage Certificate.
     With an Irregular Marriage, in the 1st column, after the date and place of marriage, the wording will be something like, "By Declaration In Presence of" followed by the names and occupations of the witnesses. (The two names you mention. Sounds like one was a P.C.)
     Heading in the 6th column is: "If a regular Marriage .......... If Irregular, Date of Conviction, Decree of Declarator, or Sheriff's Warrant"  Warrant of Sheriff Substitute of .......... and dated.
     The following link will be helpful:
              www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=282679.0
     One from Scotlandspeople:
              www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?406
     Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline issykirkpatrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 July 15 21:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dod
Those links really helped and I've checked again and agree that it should have said Tarbolton on the certificate not Yarbolton.
Many thanks
Issy