Author Topic: The Argus- George Stockdale  (Read 4464 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: The Argus- George Stockdale
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 July 15 23:30 BST (UK) »
Not at all Noy!  You clearly said WW2 in your post!  My bad!   :)

Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
  • Fairlie- The convict ship Michael Noy travelled on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 July 15 23:33 BST (UK) »
 ;D

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 July 15 05:37 BST (UK) »
Jeanne, I was just doing some research on my family from WW1 and found the George Stockdale you were looking at! What a coincidence! Now I have information on him  ;D

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 July 15 05:44 BST (UK) »
Not very nice though was it!  So many people in that list too - very sad!

The search using just the name seemed to throw up quite a lot of Stockdales from that era too, so pleased that's helpful for you further back!

Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 July 15 05:55 BST (UK) »
Indeed that was a horrid battle. Thank you for giving me the link, It's given me a real insight about what he was going through at the time.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 July 15 06:17 BST (UK) »
I love those sorts of thing too, they really bring more reality to the lives and times of our ancestors and their families - the ups and downs, the difficulties they had to face in hard times and good!  What fortitude they must have had!

I often wonder what our descendents in the far distant future are going to think of our generation when I think of all the changes I've seen in my own lifetime  in lifestyle, technology, travel, etc! 

A funny for instance, my grandmother at 96, in the 197O's, who always insisted on doing the dishes, could not understand how I could put my dirty dishes into a drawer, and it would make a terrible noise, then the dishes would come out sparkling clean and dry!

She had a unique way of expressing it to my Mum - "Jeanne wouldn't let me do the dishes after lunch, she has a magic cupboard"!  "It's very noisy, but the dishes are really clean".

Jeanne

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 July 15 06:42 BST (UK) »
What a funny story! I do love all those things. I am thinking of taking a range of photos of things and objects that the next generation might never see or use. For example- Phones on cords, telephone boxes, letters and other stuff like that. It's funny how things change so much just over a couple of decades. How peoples experiences change and how each one shapes their families future. It is really quite interesting.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 July 15 07:57 BST (UK) »
What a super idea!  Makes me think too of things in my China Cabinet that I know my kids aren't going to want, today's youngsters just don't seem to DO China cabinets etc! I have some lovely old stuff from both of my grandmothers and my Mum.  I must just set myself up one day to take photos of them all.  Mmmm food for thought!  I think I may already have a few with furniture, telephones, our houses, huge hunky TV sets and radios, grams etc

Good job for a cold winter I think!  Great idea you've given me -thank you!

Jeanne

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 13 July 15 08:17 BST (UK) »
I would love to do a collage with them in a album and have all the old family photos and stories with it. Then everything shall be neat and tidy (knowing me it will end up a mess!). At least then it would be easier to add to, and when I find a new family item to add I can just slip it in! Better make sure I label who is in every photo. I found some lovely old photos in the family archive today, dated maybe about 1890, but unfortunately they have no names on it so I have no idea who they are.  :'(