Author Topic: Samuel Wilkinson 1871 Census.  (Read 4292 times)

Offline Redrose 59

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Wilkinson 1871 Census.
« on: Sunday 12 July 15 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hopefully someone can help me..........This is what I believe to be correct so far.

Samuel Wilkinson born 1853 died 1946. ( my GG Grandfather)
He married Martha Cooper ( my GG Grandmother) in 1874 at Acton Parish Church and Elizabeth Ralphes in 1881.

I can find him on the 1881, 1891,1901 and 1911 Census no bother. But I have a puzzle come the 1871 census. I have found 2 Samuel Wilkinsons, one who appears to have the "right" people living with him but the wrong age and one with the right age and possibly living with his parents.

Beach Lane Weaverham.
Samuel Wilkinson age 28 head....Gardener
Martha Wilkinson age 24 wife...........I think this might be Martha Cooper
Mary E Wilkinson age 7 months daughter.........I think this is Mary Ellen Cooper, my G Grandmother but she would have been aged 3 as she was born c1867.
Rose A Wilkinson age 3 daughter ..........Could the ages of the children just been swapped/written  around by mistake?

Baddington
John Wilkinson age 65 Ag Labourer....Samuels father was named as John Wilkinson on marriage certificate.
Dinah Wilkinson age 55 wife
Samuel Wilkinson age 17 son Brickmaker......this would be the correct age.
James Wilkinson age 13 son. 

I'm leaning towards the Beach Lane Weaverham being the correct Samuel, but would be interested to know the thoughts of much more experienced folk on here.  And is there anyway to be sure?

Many thanks.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Wilkinson 1871 Census.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 July 15 19:50 BST (UK) »
You say he only married Martha in 1874 yet they appear together as man & wife in 1871?

Beach Lane Weaverham.
Samuel Wilkinson age 28 head....Gardener
Martha Wilkinson age 24 wife...........I think this might be Martha Cooper

If he was born 1853 - he would only be 18yrs old in 1871 so cannot be the entry you quote above
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Huckleberry

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 July 15 21:53 BST (UK) »
Could this be him in 1871 :

Address: Hack House, Baddington, Nantwich, Cheshire, England.

Father: John born 1806.
Wife:  Dinah born 1816.
Samuel born 1854
James born 1858.

RG10
Piece number   3712
Folio   54
Page   9.

Samuel gives father as John on his 19 Sept 1874 marriage to Martha Cooper

Offline Redrose 59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 July 15 22:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks CaroleW I see exactly where you're coming from and those are thoughts that have gone round and round but.......

I am wondering if that Mary Ellen was born out of wedlock and Martha and Samuel got married later?
I cannot find Martha Cooper on the 1871 census or her daughter Mary Ellen.
Would/could Samuel have lied about his age to the census taker? Did they just say all their names were Wilkinson to make life "easier"?

When my grandmother ( mary Ellen Cooper ) got married her father was named as Samuel Wilkinson on the marriage certificate. His occupation was given as Railway signalman and he's easy enough to find on the census from 1881 to 1911. ( living in Nantwich)
He is a widower on the 1881 census and has a Mary E Wilkinson, daughter, age 14 living with him. He would have been very young to have been her father but then I suppose it's not the first time something like that would ever have happened! lol. 

Huckleberry, that's where my original dilemma lay......... could it be the Samuel Wilkinson in Baddington or the other one in Weaverham?

This family history can be so frustrating but so much fun all at the same time! I often wonder why I started it when I can't figure things out! I expect that is the norm when someone is a beginner like me?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 July 15 23:33 BST (UK) »
Martha died June qtr 1880 aged 32 which ties in with her age being 24 in 1871

I think Rose A may have been this birth as 1871 shows her born Blackley Lancashire and Lancs BMD shows this birth was registered in Blackley sub district

Births March qtr 1868   
Rosanna Wilkinson  Manchester    8d   381

There is no death for Rose between 1871-1881 but she is not with Samuel in 1881.  There is a Rosannah Wilkinson aged 13 b Blackley working as a servant in Salford in 1881
RG11 Piece 3977 Folio 25 Page 3
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Redrose 59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 July 15 13:34 BST (UK) »
Martha died June qtr 1880 aged 32 which ties in with her age being 24 in 1871

I think Rose A may have been this birth as 1871 shows her born Blackley Lancashire and Lancs BMD shows this birth was registered in Blackley sub district

Births March qtr 1868   
Rosanna Wilkinson  Manchester    8d   381

There is no death for Rose between 1871-1881 but she is not with Samuel in 1881.  There is a Rosannah Wilkinson aged 13 b Blackley working as a servant in Salford in 1881
RG11 Piece 3977 Folio 25 Page 3

Thanks ever so much for that CaroleW. If only we could time travel it would make life so much easier! lol. As I don't live locally all of my research is done online which isn't always ideal. But I'll keep plugging away and hopefully gather more evidence about my family.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 July 15 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

A train of thought for you to consider.

You have shown the 1871 census for the "Wilkinson's" in Acton/Baddington - when you check the 1861 census there is a further son Joseph who was born in 1851. Taking him through the 1881/91/1901 censuses he was also working on the railways, as was Samuel.

Same trade - maybe  same family?

Joseph appears to have ended up at Hodnet, Shropshire (shown as Wilkenson on the 1901 census).

Another thought - the 1891 census has the other brother James in a Nantwich workhouse as a pauper. The line above him has an entry for a  William Cooper - part of his wife's family?

See what you think

Alan

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 July 15 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Another thought that points me towards the Acton/Baddington family is that Weaverham/Great Budworth is over 20 miles away. Also Samuel's 1946 death was registered in the Crewe area which includes Nantwich/Acton/Baddington.

Assuming it was the family in Weaverham, his death would have been registered as Northwich area

My preference is that the Baddington family is most likely the right one.

Alan

Offline Redrose 59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 July 15 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

A train of thought for you to consider.

You have shown the 1871 census for the "Wilkinson's" in Acton/Baddington - when you check the 1861 census there is a further son Joseph who was born in 1851. Taking him through the 1881/91/1901 censuses he was also working on the railways, as was Samuel.

Same trade - maybe  same family?

Joseph appears to have ended up at Hodnet, Shropshire (shown as Wilkenson on the 1901 census).

Another thought - the 1891 census has the other brother James in a Nantwich workhouse as a pauper. The line above him has an entry for a  William Cooper - part of his wife's family?

See what you think

Alan

Thanks Alan,

Oh my! Confused??? You bet I am now lol.

I have found James in the 1891 census in the workhouse as you said. I'm not sure but the name above looks more like a Samuel rather than William Cooper?  Can you read what it says on the far right of the census? It looks like "Imbecile from ?????"  ( Poor man! )

Many thanks for your thoughts Alan. Much appreciated

Lynn

Just had another thought...........

If we assume that the "correct" Samuel Wilkinson is the one in Baddington in 1871 then where is my Great Grandmother Mary Ellen Cooper in 1871?

She was born c1868 in Coppenhall.
She married Fred Egerton in 1892 at Frodsham parish Church. Her father was named as Samuel Wilkinson. Occupation Signalman.
And this is where the whole saga began. I asked initially about Mary Ellen Cooper and Fred Egerton on another thread and I thought with the help from some lovely folk on here that we'd got it cracked. But then it all went skew in 1871! I can't see the wood for the trees anymore. Lol.