Author Topic: Richard Mansell marriages  (Read 7831 times)

Offline Mansl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Joseph Haines
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Mansell marriages
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 July 15 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Victor.

Thank you for your help Ann's Death brilliant.I now have thanx to you and others Children of Richard and Ann

Thomas(1809-1876) and everything I need to know about him.

Elizabeth Bapt.30/4/1815.

Richard Bapt. 12/12/1823. aged 7,

George Bapt. 18/5/1819,1841,1851 with a wife Elizabeth and two daughters living in Leamington,1861 lodging in Leamington could be him living on his own cant make out is condition(but where is his wife and children).

Ann Bapt.12/12/1823,1841 census.

Daniel Charles Bapt.7/11/1826,I had Found a Charles Mansel born Gloucs. married to a Frances living in Lambeth 1851 to 1881 and his(1886) and her(1903) burials might not be him.

William Bapt. 23/8/1812,1841,1851 and 1861widower there is a death 1861 Winchcombe(might be him would like the burial just for the age.Then there is a marriage 2/11/1865 Bishops Cleeve  to a Patience Attwood.Not sure if its the same William because in 1871(Bishops Cleeve),81(Woodmancote),91(Winchcombe) Patience is with her husband William saying he is born Brockhampton and Woodmancote with different children to the ones I have for him and Ann.

So I am thinking that's another William and mine probably died in 1861.

Alan

Warwickshire-      Green, Mansell
Gloucestershire-   Mansell, Haines
Worcestershire-    Haynes, Simms
Oxfordshire-         Green. Hawkins
Leicestershire-      Kirby. Gee
North Shields-      Middlemiss, Haines, Faircloth

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 July 15 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,
More data for you.
Thomas MANSELL m. Mary PARKER @ St Peter, Winchcombe, 4th August 1832, by Banns.
Joseph MANSELL, s/o Thomas & Mary, a Labourer of Winchcombe, bap. @ St Peter, Winchcombe, 27th March 1836.
I may be able to find more.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Mansl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Joseph Haines
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 July 15 19:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you :

Offline Mansl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Joseph Haines
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 July 15 22:44 BST (UK) »
I have eight children for Thomas and Mary but that does not include Joseph he must have died before 1841.In 1841 census I have James aged 10 b. Winchcombe,George aged 5 b. Winchcombe,Cicely aged 2 b. Aston and Mary aged 5 months b. Birmingham and they are living in Aston.

So is there a death between 1836 and 1841 for Joseph.I suppose he could have died in Aston after they moved.There isn't a Joseph Mansell on bmd registered in Gloucestershire or Warwickshire so I would think he died before Dec qtr 1837.

Alan

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,
The ONLY burial I can find at St Peter, Winchcombe is as follows:-
Source: Gloucestershire Family History Society (GFHS) Gloucestershire Burial Index 1813-1837
Joseph MANSELL bur. 29th January 1824, aged 66.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Rob2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 March 16 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan

Just noticed this thread, the name ‘Richard Mansell’ having caught my eye.

Many years ago I was looking through the Gloucester Diocesan records and I noticed an interesting case in the consistory court concerning a Richard Mansell of Winchcombe and the two Long sisters that he married in the late 18th / early 19th centuries. In those days it was against church law for a man to marry his dead wife’s sister, although I believe that by the end of the 19th century things had changed.

The notes I made at the time were on my Psion 3a PDA, and in those days (the mid-1990s) I tended to capture data using caps only:-

NULLITY OF MARRIAGE BY REASON OF INCEST: WM TRINDER YEOMAN OF ASHCHURCH v RICHARD MANSELL AND ANN LONG FALSELY CALLED MANSELL.  JUDGEMENT:"THAT ON OR ABOUT 31 MAY 1798 RICHARD MANSELL OF W. AND MARY LONG DID CONTRACT A TRUE AND LAWFUL MARRIAGE AND LIVED TOGETHER UNTIL MARY MANSELL DEPARTED THIS LIFE. ON OR ABOUT 8 FEB 1808 A PRETENDED MARRIAGE WAS SOLEMNIZED OR RATHER PROPHANED BETWEEN RICHARD MANSELL AND ANN LONG FALSELY CALLED ANN MANSELL SISTER OF THE SAID MARY MANSELL BY PUBLICATION OF BANNS IN THE PARISH CHURCH OF BISHOPS CLEEVE....BY REASON OF THE FORMER MARRIAGE" THURS 14 DEC 1820

MARY WAS FROM BISHOPS CLEEVE AND SHE WAS MARRIED THERE ON 31 MAY 1798 TO RICHARD MANSELL BY MOSES DAVIES, OFFICIATING VICAR. HER SISTER ANN AND RICHARD MANSELL WERE MARRIED BY SAMUEL PICKERING, RECTOR,  IN THE SAME CHURCH ON 8 FEB 1808. A WITNESS AT BOTH WEDDINGS WAS THOS TARLING, PARISH CLERK. (MARY, ANN AND RICHARD ALL MADE A MARK - NONE COULD WRITE). AFTERWARDS RICHARD MANSELL AND ANN LIVED IN THE PARISH OF W. AND SEVERAL 0THER PARISHES AND PUBLIC PLACES ADJACENT THERETO. AND SO MUCH THEY KNOW AND BELIEVE AND HATH CONFESSED THE SAME TO BE TRUE.  RICHARD AND ANN WERE LIVING IN W. WHEN THEY WERE CITED ON 8 JAN 1819. 

SECOND CITATION ON 10 FEB 1819 INDICATES THAT RICHARD MANSELL WAS A LABOURER AND "HAVING BEEN SOME TIME DILIGENTLY SOUGHT FORBY OUR SAID MANDATORY JAMES SESSIONS WITH AN INTENT OF PERSONALLY CITING HIM IF HE COULD DO SO, BUT HE SO HIDING AND CONCEALING HIMSELF CANNOT BE CITED. WE THEREFORE STRICTLY COMMAND THAT IF HE CANNOT BE PERSONALLY CITED THAT THIS CITATION BE PUBLICLY AFFIXED ON THE GATES OR OUTWARD DOORS OF THE PARISH CHURCH OF W. ON THE NEXT LORDS OR FESTIVAL  DAY."

DEPOSITION BY THOS TARLING, PARISH CLERK OF BISHOPS CLEEVE, AGED 52: RICHARD AND MARY HAD 2 CHILDREN CHRISTENED AT BISHOPS CLEEVE. MARY WAS BURIED AT BISHOPS CLEEVE. THE TWO CHILDREN DIED A FEW WEEKS AFTER THEIR MOTHER.

"THE MARRIAGE BETWEEN RICHARD MANSELL AND ANN WAS AND IS PROHIBITED BY THE LAWS OF GOD AND EXPRESSED SO TO BE IN THE TABLE SET FORTH BY AUTHORITY IN 1563 ....AND BY THE 99TH CANON OF 1603 IS INCESTUOUS AND UNLAWFUL AND TO BE DISSOLVED AND MADE VOID FROM THE BEGINNING.... RICHARD MANSELL AND ANN MANSELL OTHERWISE ANN LONG WERE AND ARE TO BE SEPARATED."14 DEC 1820.

If you want to see this document for yourself it’s in Gloucs Archives (Ref GDR B4 /1 /2849).

ROB WHITE
Woolvin - Winchcombe (Gloucs
Woodfin(e) - Tilston (Cheshire)
Hepwood - (Staffs & Shropshire)
& one place researcher for Winchcombe, Gloucs

Offline Mansl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Joseph Haines
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 March 16 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob

Thank you so much for that information.I will go to Gloucester Records office again in the summer and get a photo or copy of the original.I wonder who the two children were and when their burials were.I have 7 children for Richard and Ann the first one being Thomas(he is my line) Bapt.9/4/1809 Winchcombe through to George(the fifth child) Bapt.18/5/1819 then Ann Bapt.12/12/1823 and Daniel Charles Bapt. 7/11/1826 Winchcombe so they must still have stayed together after 14/12/1820.In 1841 census Richard is with George,Ann and Charles(Daniel).I don't know when Ann died cant find her burial but I presume it was before 1841.

Alan 

Offline Rob2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 March 16 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Alan

There were two women named Ann Mansell buried in Winchcombe in the 1830s:-

23 Dec 1835 aged 53 (and therefore born about 1782)
6 Jan 1837 aged 87 (and therefore born about 1750)

Since Richard Mansell married Ann Long on 14 Dec 1820 then she would be the one born in 1782, and would have given birth to her last child, bap 1826, when she was aged 44.

Both of Richards weddings were in Bishops Cleeve so his two children by his first wife, Mary, may well have been baptised and buried there.

The only Richard Mansel(l) in Winchcombe I could find in the 18th century was baptised on 21 May 1742 (son of Wm & Mary) but he was old enough to be your Richard’s father!

ROB
Woolvin - Winchcombe (Gloucs
Woodfin(e) - Tilston (Cheshire)
Hepwood - (Staffs & Shropshire)
& one place researcher for Winchcombe, Gloucs

Offline Mansl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Joseph Haines
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 March 16 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rob. Thank you for helping.

My Richard was born Gotherington bapt.26/1/1777 Bishops Cleeve parents Thomas died 1818 Gotherington and Mary nee Wilks died 1815 Gotherington.

Alan