Author Topic: Can you help with a death date? - CAFFERATA  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Great Great Grandfather, William Cafferata
    • View Profile
Can you help with a death date? - CAFFERATA
« on: Monday 13 July 15 16:21 BST (UK) »
Anne Cafferata is shown in the Saskatchewan Death Indices on Ancestry.co.uk as having a death date of 10 Sep 1892.
According to the FamilySearch Saskatchewan Catholic Church Records, she was buried on 12 Aug 1892, a month before she died. The burial date of 12 Aug is written twice in the entry.

The previous entry in the church records was dated 27 Aug 1892 and the subsequent record was dated 17 Septermber 1892.
Do I assume that it was a simple mistake and she died in September?
Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
"Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help with a death date? - CAFFERATA
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 July 15 16:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks to scouring the Canada Resources section, I found links to two newspaper clippings regarding the death of Anne, which confirm it as September rather than August.

I would like to say a big thanks to all who have contributed to the organsisation of these resources.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 July 15 17:55 BST (UK) »
The more I looked at this the more confusing it got.

The Saskatchewan Vital Stats has a birth for a daughter (named Annie) born to Joseph Cafferata and Annie Wilson which gives her date of birth as 14 Aug 1892 but the baptism record for Annie indicates she was baptized on 12 Aug 1892. That record also says she was "born one month ago". The entry does refer to mother Annie as the "late Annie Wilson". The Catholic records indicate infant Annie was buried 22 Oct 1892.

I see the baptism date for infant Annie is the same date that mother Annie was buried which makes sense to me.

I think I would go with the Catholic records over the SDI in this case. It is possible that a typo was made in the SDI with her death being 10 Aug 1892, instead of Sep. Unfortunately Saskatchewan registrations are very expensive ($50 Canadian - about 25 GBP).

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 July 15 18:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks to scouring the Canada Resources section, I found links to two newspaper clippings regarding the death of Anne, which confirm it as September rather than August.

I would like to say a big thanks to all who have contributed to the organsisation of these resources.

Based on that it would seem like a Sep death/burial. It seems strange there could be so many baptism and death entries for the two Annies with the wrong month in the Catholic records.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 July 15 18:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your thoughts, Jacquie.
It is confusing!

The entries for Annie Senior's burial and Annie Junior's baptism follow each other in the church records. My supposition would be that it was a simple mistake in both of those church records given the newspapers. What we have is:
14 Aug 1892 Annie Cafferata (Jr) born. (Saskatchewan Birth Index)
10 Sep 1892 Annie (Sr) died. (Moose Jaw Times)
12 Sep 1892 Annie (Sr) buried. (Saskatchewan Catholic Church records - but with the date in the records - Aug - wrong)
12 Sep 1892 Annie (Jr) baptised. (Saskatchewan Catholic Church records - but with the date in the records - Aug - wrong)
22 Oct 1892 Annie Cafferata (Jr) buried. (Saskatchewan Catholic Church records)

I think it's becoming a little clearer...