Author Topic: Help and/or advice please - Edward STEVENSON  (Read 22398 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help and/or advice please.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 20:48 BST (UK) »
Did your Mother ever say when he died or went out of her family's life?

There is no suitable death showing in Sheffield for him, and very few in the West Riding.

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 22:18 BST (UK) »
Some more thoughts:
There may have been other children who died in infancy- worth looking for them in case death certs reveal more info.
He may have called himself Edward but in fact have other names as well, Edward might be his middle name.
Stevenson is a common name but very often found on the north east of England.

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 22:32 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately my mother died when I was in my teens and the subject never came up before that. I just wasn't interested in those very early years of my life. I have also checked possible births and deaths for Edward in the hope of finding someone who might fit but without more clues of when or where it's difficult.
I think it highly likely that he might have been an older man. My gran got married in 1934 to someone else and so I thought it possible that Edward might have died before this date, say about 1930 ish. I'm told by another member of this site that he appears in The Sheffield Evening Telegraph in 1920, in both March and May, for having been fined for not sending his child/children to school. No age given. I think it must have been my mum who would have been 7, who was kept home to help look after the her 2 younger brothers being 4 and 2. Knowing my gran the odds are that she would have been engaged in some form of employment, as she was never idle, and needed my mothers help. So glad that society has moved on since those bad old days. Anyway, I have tried to look at online newspapers but without much luck. I can't even find the entries mentioned above. As in the newspaper reports he was named as Edward Stevenson and I would have thought if he had had a middle name it would have been stated in that report, don't you think?
I have been trying to find others with Stevenson in their family trees in the hope that they might have my Edward as well and then I might be able to come at the problem from another direction. So far I have had no replies but I live in hope.
My mother was born in 1913, her next brother was 1916, the next 1918 and lastly 1921. By this time you can search using the mother maiden name and there were no more births. Good thought though.
Stevenson, Toulson, Owen, Bolland, Laxton, Brocksopp, Butler, Banks, Beadling.

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 22:49 BST (UK) »
I have just looked through all your replies and my answers and I sound really negative. For this I am really sorry. I have been searching for Edward for a long time which is why I have tried a lot of your suggestions already. I have just come to a complete standstill in my quest and this is the reason for this post. Please do keep sending me your suggestions.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 23:13 BST (UK) »
You say that you have looked through the 1911 census.

If he says that he is a mechanical engineer on the birth certificates, then you can probably reject many men with his name.  Have you checked occupations stated in 1911?

Also reject many men with ages outside a certain age range (what age range are you looking at - 25 to 40 by 1912?)

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 16 July 15 07:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

He could only be 16 or so in the 1911 and not everyone kept to the same trade or calling.

If Sheffield do not have the 1918-19 registers get in touch with the County Archives and see if they have them.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 25 July 15 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Just heard back from County Archives and it would seem that the electoral rolls for Sheffield 1918 and 1919 "no longer survive". It was a good thought though so thank you for that. I didn't realise that was even a possibility. Your advice was much appreciated and I'm sure will help me in future searches.

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 July 15 18:43 BST (UK) »
Is there any possibility that there might be a 'register' or similar for certain occupations? I need to find my grandfathers name on/in something during the time frame of 1912 and 1921 in Sheffield. From what I understand, even when I do get the results from the electoral roll of 1920, it's only going to give me his name and address both of which I already know. He was a mechanical engineer.
He is not on a marriage certificate. It would seem that the children weren't Christened. I'm at a complete standstill. Please, please help me!!!!!!

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 27 July 15 16:39 BST (UK) »
Good Afternoon Towdlass

I think this is the family you are looking for:

In 1891 they are living at 15 Buckleigh Road Streatham, London

The father Samuel Stevenson aged 44 was born in Sheffield and his occupation is Engine Maker.
His wife is Emma L. aged 39 born at Peckham, Surrey.
Children: Alice M. (Maud) 10, Edmund J. 8, Frank 6, and Edith 4. All children born in Streatham.
Also in the household is James Cort age 60, Samuel's brother in law and also an Engine Maker born in Newington Surrey. There are two servants.

In 1901 Samuel has died and Emma is Head of the household and a widow.
Samuel's death is recent. Wandsworth RD March Q 1901 age 54 years.
Three of the children are in the household;
Maud 20,
Edward J. 18 (Note his name was down as Edmund in 1891 but his birth is registered in Wandsworth RD Sep Q 1882 Edward James Stevenson)
Frank 16
Edward and Frank are stated to be Mechanical Engineers.
James Cort is a Boarder aged 70. He was Samuel's brother in law. He married Samuel's sister Mary Ann Stevenson.

In 1881 Samuel Stevenson aged 34 is living in Streatham with his wife Emma and baby Alice M.
James Cort is in the household and both men are stated to be Mechanical Engineers. I suspect they were in business together.

In 1911 Edward Stevenson is not found. In all probability he is working somewhere abroad in the British Empire. In 1907 he applied to be an Associate of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers and in 1908 a Sheffield newspaper reported the he was a beneficiary of 500 pounds* in the Will of a relative who had recently died. At that time he was reported to be living in Barrow in Furness Cumberland.

I think Edward James is the best candidate for your grandfather. Bear in mind that with the spacing of the births of the children he could well have been working abroad for several months at a time just as many engineers do today. Is it also possible that he may have died abroad in an accident or of a tropical disease. Perhaps he intended to marry Edith when his mother passed, however she died in 1941 at the age of 89.

Venelow
Canada

*Over 28K in 1910 money