Author Topic: Leicester to America  (Read 3197 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Leicester to America
« on: Thursday 16 July 15 23:49 BST (UK) »
So not sure where to post :)

I have hit a 'glitch' with my Lubenham crew..........

after happily tracing them through the census 's  etc.. they all seemed to stay within the boundaries of Lovely Lubenham.  Nice reasonably easy search... UNTIL

They married into the more adventurous Cockerill family... 
Now they are all over the place....

So (is it me or is Ancestry hiding its American records tonight) 
I have :

Thomas Cockerill married Mary Ann Patrick in 1828  (most previous info on these two found :) )

They go on to have 8 Children all born Lubenham :)  nice :)

I find the births and then loose most of them during Census checks or marriage checks.

Henry born 1833 - I am sure goes to America ... but the only evidence I found - just says he was born in England.
Thomas born 1834 dies as an infant.
Thomas born 1837............  hiding
Elizabeth bn 1839 is  a servant (I think) and remains single... needs re-checking
JOSEPH bn 1842  definitely goes to AMERICA cos 3 of his children are born there as per census returns ... he marries Mary Ann or Marriane Ashton in 1868 and then I couldn't find a 1871 for them, but did find the further census till their deaths and as I say 3 children born in America. 
BUT no docs regarding their journey out there 
The 1901 census return for the family even states that their daughter Mary Ann born 1871 - and son Thomas born 1878 - became naturalised New Yorkers on the 13th July.
They are back in UK by 1881 census and go on to have more children ........

Joseph dies in 1903...

His parents Thomas and Mary ann go on to have more children after Joseph and again, I did manage to find Jane, bn 1850  but not as yet Frederick bn 1844  or Mary bn 1847....

So I really would like to complete this bunch of Cockerills...
So please tell my why is Ancestry not showing me census or naturalisation records for them... I am a world wide member... etc..

there are times, it just refuses to let me see Marriages as well... it is so annoying -

OK..

nearly midnight - time for night shift to take over... :) :)

xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Leicester to America
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 July 15 23:50 BST (UK) »
ps 

Thomas and Mary Ann do stay in Lubenham and die there in 1883 and 1877 respectively :)

xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 July 15 21:59 BST (UK) »
Well -- I have spent a few more hours on this one ....  am still having difficulty with Ancestry showing me marriage records....
and or 'Naturalisation' records.

I couldn't find them on Family search either. 
So slowly going through the children to see what I can find.. its going to be a long journey -

I found Mary Ann (nee Ashton) Cockerill's (wife of Joseph) death 1933 - as I had found her in 1911 living with son John and family in Leicester and traced her from there.

I also have Josephs snr (bn 1842) death 1903.

I followed Mary Ann Cockerill bn 1871 in AMERICA dtr of Joseph and Mary ....
and she is a servant from 1891 in Fleckney - back with her parents in the 1901 (lubenham)
and nowhere in 1911---
then I found a possible marriage to an Albert Scrivens, which means she married late in life ... this was 1916  and then this Mary Ann Scrivens died in Leicester in 1942 age 71. 

So a marriage or death cert to send for I think!!!!

I just wish I could find the missing years in America... for some of the family at least. 

Going to look into a possible Mary Mcleod that may have married Henry !!! (bn 1833 brother of this Joseph snr)  oh crikey
sorry --- lovely people --- this is my note pad may not post at the moment... xin

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 July 15 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi xin.

I'm a bit confused about what country you are seeking naturalization records for?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 July 15 16:27 BST (UK) »
I'm not positive, but I don't think the 1901 census entry indicates that the children were naturalized New Yorkers.  I think they would be considered US citizens on the basis of their US births.  Perhaps it meant they were naturalized as British citizens?

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 July 15 16:35 BST (UK) »
This was my thought about the 1901 census also.....that they are naturalized British citizens who were born in New York. They would not need to be naturalized as New Yorkers since they were born there.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 July 15 17:00 BST (UK) »
Uhm   --- I knew this was a crazy  one :) :) --- I hadn't thought they would have to be 'naturalised' UK after having been born in America... SO shows I am past my sell by :) :) 

This one sure does need lots of work  -- oh dear

really appreciate all thoughts on this :)

xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 July 15 09:00 BST (UK) »
OK.

This one has turned my white hair whiter and added a lot of wrinkles... SO  - I have quietly bedded them down.

Because otherwise, I wont have enough 'earth time' to sort the rest of my twigs and branches.

The thing is I know they will niggle away, cos there are so many  Cockerills - that either stepped over to America for a while and then came back, or set up home and made good. 

It is a shame - that after searching ALL avenues, I find available to me... there is NO definate proof.. that the Cockerill's I find over there are the ones from Lubenham... it just says England, on any passenger list or census rtn.  .
Not even a decent Obit anywhere..... there are one or two confusing (absolutely mental) trees on Anc... whereby they have definitely mixed up the various Cockerills.  But there is also one that I have emailed the owner to see if they will talk to me... so who knows.

I am taking a respite from them.  whilst I await the Death cert I sent off for. 

So if one day a reader of this post has absolutely nothing better to do

:) :) :)

Please find them for me :)  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  details on request

Today - I am not going to break down anywalls... I am going to 'build' a tiny one in the garden to create a safe haven for my wayward moggy to hide in :)  her eyes are not good now and so she needs somewhere of her own to hide in.

xin

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 July 15 11:49 BST (UK) »
So people can see what was found in the discussion about the death certificate:  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=726009.0