Author Topic: Michael O'Dea  (Read 3613 times)

Offline Mexigal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael O'Dea
« on: Saturday 18 July 15 02:46 BST (UK) »
My father Michael O'Dea was born in Ireland, Dad moved to Glasgow Scotland as a young man. I am trying to find his birth certificate, which is proving elusive.
I believe he was born in Birr, County Offaly, but not positive, although Birr was mentioned by a relative, but know very little about my Irish background.
Any leads as to how I can track down my Dad's birth certificate would be much appreciated. My grandfather was called Daniel O'Dea, grandmother Mary Sharkey. Dad was in the 1914 war. These are some of the clue's.
Thanks for any leads.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Michael O'Dea
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 July 15 03:10 BST (UK) »
do you have any approximate years of birth ?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 July 15 03:12 BST (UK) »
do you mean your grandfather was in the first world war ?  do you know which regiment?  do you have any photos of him in uniform ?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 July 15 03:16 BST (UK) »
do you have your family in any census ?

Offline Mexigal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 July 15 03:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your response...no I meant that my father was in the 1st world war, he was 25 years older than my mother! Dad was wounded in one leg. Yes I do have an old photo of him in uniform.
One of my sons is attempting to apply for an Irish passport, but needs his grandfathers birth certificate as proof that he has Irish ancestry.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 July 15 03:24 BST (UK) »
back to my earlier questions,,,do you have any years of birth?  do you have your family in any census ?

Offline Mexigal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 July 15 03:29 BST (UK) »
I'm new to this search web, so don't understand the question" Do you have your family in any census"  Years of birth...this is the stickler, I have his marriage certificate of 1936, but his exact date of birth is not stated.However it does state his age as 45 years old.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 July 15 03:34 BST (UK) »
so,,he was born circa 1891.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 July 15 03:39 BST (UK) »
where did he marry?  what was his fathers occupation on the certificate or was he deceased by then.

There are censuses for Ireland for 1901 and 1911,,,,also Censuses for the UK FOR 1891,1901 AND 1911.

The census would tell you where someone was living,,thier age,occupation and where born.

If your fathers ww1 service record survives,,that may have the info you need.  Does the photo have identifying features,,,eg  cap badges?