Author Topic: Conflicting records found for great grandmother Wilhelmina Rhoda Sutton lancs  (Read 3497 times)

Offline Domenica007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi there,

I am currently researching my great grand mother Wilhelmina Rhoda Sutton from Lancashire. i have found records of her birth varying from Dec 1900 to Jan 1901 (according to FreeBDM and Ancestry.com), her birth certificate lists her birth as Jan 1901 as does her first marriage certificate to her first husband Herbert A Weston. Given that she has quite an unusual name, I have come across a record of her marrying for the 2nd time, a Thomas Bracegirdle in 1955 and having children to him as well as a death record for Wilhelmina R Bracegirdle in 1995. I do not have this 2nd marriage certificate or death record yet.
My question is, I have also come across a record of migration to the USA and a U.S Public Record of a Wilma R Weston, birth Jan 1901, Camberwell, UK, residing in Neosha, MO in 1995 and her death is recorded as 1995. Weston is the married name of her first husband Herbert A Weston.
Because her name is quite unique, I'm sure that there can't be too many Wilma R Weston's around at that time. Can someone please verify if this is the same person?

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Conflicting records found for great grandmother
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 July 15 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The death registration in 1995 gives a birth date of 28 December 1900 which would fit with a registration in the Jan-March quarter 1901.

There are several trees online featuring Wilhelmina with a variety of records.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 July 15 19:24 BST (UK) »
I think the one in US is Wilma Ruth Weston wife of a Charles E Weston you would be surprised how many people seem to have same name.....drives me barmy at times!!

a tree on ancestry does say Herbert Weston went to Canada and while he was away his wife had 3 children by Thomas Bracegirdle and that she went on to marry said Thomas

sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 July 15 19:32 BST (UK) »
Surely the Wilhelmina who married Thomas brace girdle in 1955 and had a family with him cannot have been born 1901?

Offline Domenica007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 July 15 19:35 BST (UK) »
Why couldn't it be? She was married in 1920 to Herbert Weston, had children to him in 1921 and 1923, Herbert left for Canada and while away, she had children to Thomas Bracegirdle from 1924 onwards.  Herbert died in 1944 Wilhelmina, married Thomas in 1955. All of this is confirmed by records.

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 July 15 19:42 BST (UK) »
Wilhelminia and Herbert only separated I guess and that is why her and Thomas didn't marry till 1955 but of course that didn't stop them having a family!  happened a lot divorce was expensive!
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Domenica007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 July 15 19:48 BST (UK) »
Yes I agree Sandiep, they were separated but she certainly didn't waste any time having children with Thomas, because my grandmother Gwendoline, was born in 1923 then the first child with Thomas was born in 1924. And after Herbert committed suicide in 1944, she was then free to marry Thomas in 1955.

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 July 15 19:50 BST (UK) »
did you know Herberts birth certificate fron India is on FindMyPast and a photo of him in the Merchant Navy section?  sandie

Offline Domenica007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 July 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
Yes I have that photo and his boarding documents too thanks Saniep.