Author Topic: Jacob Chapman b. 1815? and Rachel Hogg, b. 19 May 1819 Armagh to ONT, Can.  (Read 3404 times)

Offline RichStPete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I am looking for help in following my ancestors from No. IRE to Nelson, Halton , and Oxford counties in ONT. They farmed in Halton Co, in 1851, and lived in Zimmerman, then had a store in Tilsonburg, Oxford before going to Bay County MI in 1869 (?). Their son, John, stayed on in Tilsonburg and married into the founding family by marrying Nancy Turner, 15 Mar, 1869. Can anyone help me?
Hughes, Davies, Davison, & Hill in Hawarden, Flintshire, Wales;  Chapman, Hogg, in Tilsonburg, ONT, Canada and Northern Ireland;

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jacob Chapman b. 1815? and Rachel Hogg, b. 19 May 1819 Armagh to ONT, Can.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 04:01 BST (UK) »
I took a look at some of their early Canadian records.

To me it looks like Jacob Chapman and Rachel Hogg were likely married in Canada? Your subject line has Rachel Hogg being from Armagh but do you have any indication Jacob Chapman was also from Armagh? The name Jacob Chapman in Armagh would make me suspect Quaker roots.

They are on the census as New Connexion Methodists and I see an Irish-born Alexander Hogg the right age to be Rachel's father with wife Mary and sons Samuel and James in the immediate area who were also New Connexion. Samuel and James were younger than Rachel and born in Canada.

I also see a near neighbour, Irish-born, Wesleyan Methodist Jane Chapman who was married to (Canadian-born) Abraham Deforest and named a son Jacob Chapman Deforest. Her Michigan death registration has her parents as John and Mary. She was the right age to be a sister of Jacob's.

Have you traced those people?

Offline RichStPete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 18:50 BST (UK) »
Somewhere in my records I jotted down a note that the Chapman and Hogg families came from Keady, Armagh. Do I search in NO. IRE for Jacob  Sr.?
Hughes, Davies, Davison, & Hill in Hawarden, Flintshire, Wales;  Chapman, Hogg, in Tilsonburg, ONT, Canada and Northern Ireland;

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 19:47 BST (UK) »
Found a death record for another daughter, Mary Irwin, in Barton Township (Wentworth County, Ontario), aged 90, in 1934, daughter of Jacob Chapman, and (blank) Hogg, both born in Ireland. Had lived in the province her whole life. Born in Nelson Township.

Offline RichStPete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 23:24 BST (UK) »
Awesome, thank you, Eileen. She was one of the first children b. 1843.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 00:49 BST (UK) »
You're welcome.  BTW, the name of the town is Tillsonburg (correct spelling).   ::)

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 03:50 BST (UK) »
If you have a good source that one/both came from Keady then you could start investigating the availability of records for that time period. I'm not familiar with that part of Armagh so I don't know what's available.

But I strongly suggest focusing your attention on Canadian records if you haven't already done that. My brief exploration turned up lots of interesting leads.

Offline RichStPete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 04:44 BST (UK) »
ok.will do ansimi...share them with me

Offline RichStPete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Hogg...Armagh to ONT, Can.
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 15:06 BST (UK) »
I took another look at the 1 Oct. 1872 death record for Alexander Hogg. His son, Samuel of Trafalgar, is the "informant" and he states that his dad was born in Armagh, IRE. They are New Connection Methodists. The record was made 25 March 1873.