Author Topic: cant upload document as its to large  (Read 1666 times)

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
cant upload document as its to large
« on: Tuesday 21 July 15 08:49 BST (UK) »
Has anybody an email addressi can send my grandfathers ww1 record to?i had a researcher look him up at kew and she emailed me what she found i just need a little help with it ,,,thanks dave ,,,,

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: cant upload document as its to large
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 19:28 BST (UK) »
He served in both the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers #9352. He was discharged 8 August 1916. He was awarded a Silver War Badge due to sickness. He enlisted 8 August 1914 according to his Silver War Badge record. He received this so old ladies would not give him a white feather. I cannot find his record on Ancestry. So it was probably destroyed in the 1940 fire.

His medal index card (also on Ancestry) gives the date he went overseas. The 1st and 2nd Battalions were the two regular battalions. They had one regimental number sequence and it was over 11000 at the start of WW1. My guess is that he enlisted in the Special Reserve (3rd or 4th Bn) and was sent to the 1st Battalion as a replacement.

You should delete your second post about him.

Ken

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 21:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help

So when he went to France in February 1915 he would of been with the 2nd battalion ?? He was only in France until may 12th 1915"according to his discharge papers ...

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 01:59 BST (UK) »
Its weird because my grandmother always said he was at mons and the Marne ...but that was 1914 ... His record states he only signed up in August 1914'so there's no way he was there in 1914 ....

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 06:53 BST (UK) »
I have checked - http://www.1914-1918.net/dubs.htm - and the 2nd Battalion were the only battalion in France when he went.

The 1st Battalion were at home when he went to France so he must have transferred to the 2nd in February 1915. A pity you do not have his 1914-15 Star to see if it gives a battalion. As already said 93xx was not a 1st Bn number. If you have the time/inclination you can check on Ancestry for the records of men with nearby numbers enlisting in August, to see which battalion they first joined.

If you use the medal card page on the National Archives rather than Ancestry they have a better search - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-medal-index-cards-1914-1920/

Start by looking for men with number 935?, then 934? and 936?. Note any unusual names - to make if easier to find them on Ancestry. Ideally you find one before and after 8th August 1914.

Ken

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 21:55 BST (UK) »
There's no battalion on his medals ... Or on his discharge papers ...