Author Topic: WW1 record - meaning??  (Read 509 times)

Offline Cnthree3

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW1 record - meaning??
« on: Tuesday 21 July 15 23:35 BST (UK) »
can anyone help with the purpose and meaning of this record for my relative?

many thanks

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 record - meaning??
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 23:43 BST (UK) »
Looks like a certificate of proof of postage of the British War Medal and the Victory medal of the recipient and postal address where they were sent.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Cnthree3,

Basically it is a memorandum regarding the disposal of the medals earned by this soldier.

It tells you that the medals, they being the 'BW & V' or British War & Victory medals that he earned, were posted to him at the Chorlton Upon Medlock address given & on the date shown.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 23:52 BST (UK) »
Oh I'm pleased we agree  ::)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 01:45 BST (UK) »
Looks like a certificate of proof of postage of the British War Medal and the Victory medal of the recipient and postal address where they were sent.
Carol

Yes, may I support Carol's post.   Well sorted Carol. 

So that's two of us supporting Carol's post  :)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 July 15 16:20 BST (UK) »
Not a common document. As it is three months after the despatch it looks as if someone is asking what happened to the medals. The medal card has nothing about a re-issue so we can assume they were eventually found.

Ken