Author Topic: South Australia: Lisette Christiane Henriette HEYER (1846- ? )  (Read 6412 times)

Offline Spike H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: South Australia: Lisette Christiane Henriette HEYER (1846- ? )
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 23 July 15 12:22 BST (UK) »
You mentioned on another thread that you regularly go to the National Library. Perhaps they have Mervyn's bio or can get it in for you. I was looking for it today but couldn't find it and neither could the volunteers. The librarian wasn't in, so maybe next time.
I was at Upper Sturt Methodist cemetery a few months back. Quaint little place and church, on the side of a hill. Hair raising drive to get there, but.
UK: Lee, Swift
CON: Davey, Harding, Hocking, Rule, Whinnen
AUST: McIntosh

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 23 October 17 11:30 BST (UK) »
Just to close the loop on this one, in case someone is looking in the future, according to the "Register of all Persons Brought to the Common Gaol at Adelaide, in the Province of South Australia" (volume D, p201), Lisette FRAHM was brought to the Gaol on 4 September 1868, aged 48 years. Too old to be Lisette Christiane Henriette HEYER (1846-?), but closer in age to Lisette Caroline FRAHM (nee PETERS) (1816-1872).

And Mervyn HEYER's book kept in Genealogy SA didn't go into that level of detail.

So Lisette HEYER disappeared after 1858. Thanks again for all suggestions before.
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 06:05 GMT (UK) »
I thank the posters above suggesting to consider variations on the name. I believe I have found a very likely candidate. There are a lot of discussions of this Lord family, including on RC, so thought I'd post the speculation in case someone connected finds this.

A Elizabeth Ann HAYER married George LORD on 24 October 1866 in Robe SA, aged 19 years, with father Henry HAYER.  So birth around 1847. On the marriage notice [https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/28792569], Elizabeth is described as “of Brighton England”, but I couldn't find any obvious corresponding English births.  Elizabeth Ann LORD died in Warracknabeal in 1895, aged 47 years, parents - “HAYER”. There appears little further information to be gained from the registration. Elizabeth's origins are quite mysterious.

Heinrich Zacharias HEYER was recorded as Henry HAYER on one of his admissions to Adelaide Hospital. The ages are close and "Lisette Christiane HEYER" and "Elizabeth Ann HAYER" are very similar.

Working against this theory is that it would have been difficult for a girl raised in a household likely speaking only German, to ten years later pass herself off as from England.
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline dinah freeman

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 December 22 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi. My name is Dinah Freeman. I am able to confirm your theory about Elizabeth Ann Hayer being the missing Lisette! Recent DNA evidence links descendants of Elizabeth Ann Hayer with descendants of Heinrich Heyer and LC Fullgrabe in the range of 3rd cousins. Happy to discuss this further and would love to find out any information you have about Elizabeth’s German heritage

Offline Ada Zeeks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Digging up my ancestors....
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 26 December 22 11:07 GMT (UK) »
I hope this is appropriate to ask.  Many of the surnames of our Irish and English ancestors were changed - I always imagine and Englishman trying to write one of my Irish ancestors surnames and just not knowing how to spell it.

I came across the surname HEHIR  the other day, in my own family history.  I don't know if that is similar sounding to the surname you are searching for.

I have a brain injury so can't keep much info in my head.  I know you said south Australia, but I can't remember where from Ireland/UK.  IF your family had Clare connections, try looking at KAPUNDA in SOuth Australia  - MASSIVE County Clare and Galway collection of residents.  Also look at Yorke Peninsula - because HEHIR was there - the one in my family related to TOWNSELL/TROUSDELL and HARTIGAN.

Please ask if I can help you more (IF I helped). 

Katherine
IRELAND....
KELLY... plus Hamilton, McCormack, Dwyer, Condon, Flynn, Mahon, Keane, Quinn, Fox, Farrell, Lynch,  Moore, Hartigan, Martin....  Dwyer, Condon, Walsh, Curtin, Ryan.....
COUNTIES - Longford, Westmeath, Roscommon, Clare, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Cork... and probably more

ENGLAND
Johnson, Berryman, Garland, Caudwell, Sloss, Timsbury , Boddy, Dwyer, Kelly, Condon....

Convicts to Australia
Settlers and pioneers to Australia
Military History

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 22:55 GMT (UK) »
The HEYERs from this line are from Zellerfeld in Lower Saxony.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Just a wee point about the name Hehir, here in NZ I have heard my Irish descended relatives pronounce this in a similar way to Ayre/Ayr/hair almost. 

ETA Some times very faint 'H' sound.

So if there is a second syllable it is not pronounced as definitely as the 'er' in Heyer/Hayer.