Author Topic: A person lost at sea? Does anyone keep the historical records???  (Read 2711 times)

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: A person lost at sea? Does anyone keep the historical records???
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 July 15 01:04 BST (UK) »
Referring to the post by jaybelnz re death by sunstroke:

I have a number of ancestors/early relatives who were said to have been ill or died from the effects of sunstroke.  Some were family stories and some were a medical diagnosis. In some cases, I suspect the affliction was really a stroke.  In other cases, the relative was found to have subsequently been admitted to an Asylum for mental illness.  Was it a case of "Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid day sun....".

Jaybelnz, I feel you rightly query the diagnosis of sunstroke in March.  In the early days of settlement of tropical North Queensland, there was much discussion about the suitability of Europeans working there because of the heat and sun.  I have lived there all my life and have the sun cancers scars to prove it and I am OK, I am OK, I am OK  ::)

Perhaps this diagnosis of sunstroke needs discussion as a separate topic as I would like to know more. Gazania

ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 July 15 02:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Gazania.  When I first looked at the entry, at first glance I only registered The "stroke" part of the word and looked for the word "apoplexy". It wasn't until I wound it up to full size that I saw the whole word sunstroke. Still seems pretty strange at that time of year. March??  And only 10 days out of England??

Another fact I don't think I added, it also states the Dr stayed was in attendance for 6 hrs!

Being of the sun bunny generation Gazania, I too have many scars from skin cancer removals!

The most recent was just last year, and that was on my scalp - right on top!  I was funded for a wig, as it had required quite a decent sized skin graft! And a scalp shave!  Of course no hair will grow there now, as the new skin came from my thigh.  So what I have now is the proverbial fly skating rink, but I can tell you this, I have the worlds best comb over now that the hair on the rest of my scalp has grown!  I have a wavy sort of bob, so a good style for me!  Wear a headband If it's windy! 
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 August 15 18:39 BST (UK) »

Two of the McManus boys settled in New York City:
James McManus (1846-1888) - Immigrated 1875-1880
Joseph McManus (1860-1922)

Three of the McManus girls and one boy settled in Philadelphia: 
Catherine McManus Delany (1841-1899)
Johanna McManus Lawlor (1853-1937)
Mary Ellen McManus  (1856-1932) - Immigrated 1885-87
Jeremiah McManus (1861-1930)
- Immigrated 1890-1900

Have you looked at all the passenger manifests for this people?
Or do you have their census entries with the year of immigration?

Because even if someone died on the voyage he could have been mentioned on the passenger list.
If you think he died on a sinking ship and you know a time frame you could look for ship wrecks databases like this one http://www.theshipslist.com/

Regards

Svenja

Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.