Author Topic: Looking for an Angel!  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Looking for an Angel!
« on: Thursday 23 July 15 14:54 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help us please?
Two of us chatters are looking for Angel COLLINS born about 1751 in Somerset.
When she married in Radstock her parish was Walcot. Her husband was from Paulton as were their grandchildren children. She was buried in 1825 in Midsomer Norton abode Welton.Her husband had been buried in 1823 in Paulton abode Camerton.
We have looked on Family Search and Free Reg can anyone suggest where else we can try please?
So far we have only found 1 child for them George BULL baptised 1789 in Camerton I thought maybe she had gone to live with a married childafter her husband died.Is there an easy way of searching Free Reg with parents' names?
Many thanks
Trees and For thekids.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for an Angel!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 July 15 15:13 BST (UK) »
Other Children on FreeREG, Camerton to WILLIAM/ANGEL Bull;
GEORGE, 5 April 1789
JOSEPH and BENJAMIN, 27 June 1790
MARY, 4 Nov 1792
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 July 15 15:35 BST (UK) »
There is a RICHARD Collins Baptised 3 May 1752, St James, Cameley
Parents WILLIAM/ANGELL

Possible Parents/Brother?

A ANGEL Collins was buried 14 Jul 1754 same Church

A WILLIAM Collins, Widower, married Mary EVANS, Spinster, 15 Nov 1758, Bath Abbey, Bath
Also;
WILLIAM Collins of Cameley*, Occp Yeoman, to Mary PERRY, Widow, 1 May 1758, St Augustine of Hippo, Clutton
(does not state he is Widowed)

I did notice a JNO Collins was a Witness to William/Angells Marrriage.

All above FreeREG

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 July 15 18:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry to be delayed in replying thats wonderful Trish How did you search using parents I can;t see the way.
Great information  many many thanks

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 July 15 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Trees,
From memory I think I just put in the name George Bull, Baptism 1789 (exact year), Somerset.
Entry came up and then went back and  remove christian name George added 2yrs either side of 1789 and then 5yrs.
I just looked at the Camerton ones that came up.

Sometimes I out Fathers christian name in when searching or Mothers christian name (esp if it is unusual)
Bit of a hit/miss sometimes as William can be Wm/Willm/ etc on some entries.

Also I use soundex option as well to find extra possible entries, eg Parr may be Par.

I though the Collins entries I posted may be of interest as Daughters are often named after their Mother.

Trish :)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 July 15 10:55 BST (UK) »
Thank Trish Its a shame you cant do a direct parent search rather like the Family Search idea I wondered if I'd missed  an easy way  :)
Yes I think the extra Collins data may well prove interesting I have also found the death of an Angel Bull aged 13 who i suspect was an unbaptised daughter  but all I need to do is prove the relationships of them all The Bulls are a real trial well infact anyone from the Paulton area seem to be headaches the Carters took years to sort and still have a few problems now its the turn of the Bulls
Many thanks for your help  :)
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 July 15 13:42 BST (UK) »
Your welcome :)

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 July 15 15:15 BST (UK) »
In the older version of FreeREG the search function looks for the quoted Christian name in any Christian name field, so it could be the child or the parent in a baptism, or even a witness with a different surname in a marriage.  So if you search for a baptism for Angel BULL you should get all cases in the requested range where either the child or the mother was called Angel. The list of results only shows the child's names so you can guess that any that aren't Angel must have a mother (or father) called Angel. Then look at the whole record to see if it is the right family.

The new version, FreeREG2 ( http://freereg2.freereg.org.uk/ ), does not search that way by default, but it does something similar if you tick the box at the bottom for "Search family members". The new version should also cope with abbreviations and variant spellings of forenames, i.e if you ask for William but the record has Wm. it should still be produced.  (The lists of variations have not been finalised yet, but certainly should have the more common abbreviations.)

(Unlike FreeREG1, FreeREG2 won't produce results where the Christian name and surname belong to different people in the same record. That could be useful at times, e.g. if you search for a marriage for Angel MAGGS, FreeREG1 will find the one between Joseph MAGGS and Angel BULL but FreeREG2 won't.)

David

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 July 15 17:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dave I had found that particular marriage but failed to find who the bride was surely Angel wasn't that common.
All this has thrown up anpther big problem
William Bull married Angel Collins in 1788
I thought I had found deaths for:
William in 1823 age 74 in Paulton the register gives his abode as Camerton which fits the baptism records of their children
Angel BULL in 1825 also age 74 in Midsomer Norton
These lead to births in 1749 and 1751 these however mean the y married aged 39 and 36
so Angel would have been 40 having her last child
This did not over worry me as it reflects my age of marriage and birth of my son when I was 43 BUT I have now found a burial in Paulton in 1798 for an Angel BULL   So was she a daughter or sould I be looking for a younger couple born nearer 1760?
I have found a William BULL that fits the death in 1823 but I can not find an Angel Collins of any age,
I wonder in view of the supposed ages if Angel was a widow when she married William Bull.

Oh HELP its a big mess just when I thought we were winning with this line  :'(

mcmullin.me.uk