Author Topic: Hitting a brick wall in Daviot, Inverness - Allan KENNEDY  (Read 3669 times)

Offline Nell1707

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hitting a brick wall in Daviot, Inverness - Allan KENNEDY
« on: Friday 24 July 15 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

My 3x great grandfather, Allan Kennedy, was born in Daviot in 1801. By 1927, when he married Mary Clark he was living in Torbreck and he stayed there for most of his life. He died in Inverness in 1888, but unfortunately his death was registered by his son-in-law who, I assume, didn't know the names of his parents.
I have tried, but can't find any record for his birth and parentage. He pops up in all the censuses but one (1841).

Mary had a sister, Ann, who married a John Kennedy who was born in Boleskin in 1796. Might this have been Allan's brother?? I found a record for John's birth and his father is Donald Kennedy. Donald is a name which has come up in our family in every generation since. I am convinced there is a connection between John and Allan, but I just can't find any evidence.

Anyone got any ideas as to how to proceed??

MARIE Gonfreville (France) and Jersey
NAVARRE Gonfreville
KENNEDY Inverness, Scotland
STEWART Moray, Scotland
STEPHEN Springburn, Glasgow
WATSON Dalry, Ayrshire, Scotland
DUNN Ireland and Springburn

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Hitting a brick wall in Daviot, Inverness
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 July 15 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi .

He pops up in all the censuses but one (1841)

http://www.freecen.org.uk/ has an Allan Kennedy age 38 and family living Torbreck Hill in 1841.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 July 15 16:25 BST (UK) »
What is your source for his marriage in 1927? A marriage certificate shouid reveal the names of his parents.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 July 15 16:30 BST (UK) »
Imber, slip of the finger by Nell... Marriage would be 1827.

Nell, have you got Mary Clark's parents' names? Sometimes the names of early born children provide clues as to possible grandparents' names. Often referred to as as Scottish naming pattern. Lots of links to this, one here www.halmyre.abel.co.uk/Family/naming.htm

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nell1707

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 July 15 16:41 BST (UK) »
Wow. Thanks for that Ev. :)
Still can't find that record in Ancestry.co.uk though. :(

Imber, I got a copy of the registration from Scotland's People website. It just gives the names of bride and groom, where they're from and the date. No mention of parents unfortunately.
NAVARRE Gonfreville
STEWART Moray, Scotland

Offline Nell1707

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 July 15 16:46 BST (UK) »
Monica

I do have Mary's parent's names (Alexander and Ann Clark). Curiously, the couple were married by an Alexander Clark, but I don't know if there is any relation.

Allan's eldest son was called Donald which is partly why I'm so convinced that he and John are brothers.
NAVARRE Gonfreville
STEWART Moray, Scotland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hitting a brick wall in Daviot, Inverness - Allan KENNEDY
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 July 15 21:34 BST (UK) »
Nell, re 1841 and the entry that Ev has found. Have to say, FreeCen tends to have better transcriptions than Ancestry. Great that you have it now.

Just for reference here, this was the entry from 1841:

Allan KENNEDY 38 Farmer            
Mary KENNEDY 34                   
Janet KENNEDY 12                   
Ann KENNEDY 8                       
Mary KENNEDY 6           
Donald KENNEDY 4               
Alexander KENNEDY 2               
John KENNEDY 1            
Margaret KENNEDY 1 month    
Cathrine FRASER 17 Female Servant

Address: Torbreck Hill

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 July 15 21:52 BST (UK) »
...I got a copy of the registration from Scotland's People website. It just gives the names of bride and groom, where they're from and the date. No mention of parents unfortunately.

Scottish official registration of BMDs did not start until 1855. Entries before this date will be from the Old Parish Registers. Only about a third of events pre 1855 were registered, for all sorts of reasons. If you are lucky enough to find a parish marriage entry of this time, most of the time it will be no more that a simple, single line entry just naming groom and bride.

Something that might help. It might be worth you looking at the christening entries to see whether any main Kennedy names show as sponsors. All clues really for now.

The following entries show:

Alexander 1830 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XB9R-F38... looks to have died young.
Ann 1832 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XB9Y-5VM
Mary 1834 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XB9T-ZH1
Donald 1836 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XB9B-RHY
Alexander 1839 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XB91-RK3
Margaret 1841 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XB9Y-XH5, a twin with
John https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XB9Y-XH5 (the John is the 1841 census entry showing as 1, likely 1 month old along with Margaret, sister?).

From the above 1841 census entry, the only child I couldn't see was Janet born 1828-9.

Monica

Added: Likely the 1851 census, which shows a son Allan b. 1839 should be Alexander showing as above?

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hitting a brick wall in Daviot, Inverness - Allan KENNEDY
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 11:47 BST (UK) »
Will not help much but I have their gravestones

Chapel Yard, Inverness

794. In memory of Allan Kennedy who died Aug 1888 aged 88 years and his beloved wife Mary Clark who died Nov 1880 aged 76 years. Also Donald Kennedy their son who died Dec 1913 aged 77 years and Ann Fraser his spouse who died Nov 1915 aged 81 years. Also in affectionate remembrance of Donald Kennedy who died at Station House, Rathven, Banff Shire Jan 1904 aged 18 years and John & Willie who died in infancy, children of Allan Kennedy, Stationmaster, Rathven. Erected by their son Donald.

Kilmore, Drumnadrochit

57. 1860. Erected by John Kennedy, Coiltyside in memory of his son John who died on the 23rd March 1859 aged 18 years. Also Flora Ann McKinnon beloved wife of Donald Kennedy who died 29th Sep 1863 age 28 years.

58. Erected by his sorrowing widow to the memory of John Kennedy. For several years Forester to the Earl of Seafield who died at Coiltyside 25th May 1872 aged 76 years. And his beloved wife Ann Clark died 11th Aug 1884 aged 84 years. Also their daughter Mary who died 19th March 1878 aged 40 years. Margaret died 16th Dec 1921 aged 86 years beloved wife of James MacKintosh, Wine Merchant. Their son Duncan died at Coiltyside 18th Feb 1935 aged 74 years.