Author Topic: William Anton EVELEIGH  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Anton EVELEIGH
« on: Friday 24 July 15 16:49 BST (UK) »
William Anton EVELEIGH (1839-1884) appears to have married twice. His first marriage was in Q1 1863 in Lambeth to Hannah Laura DINES. His second marriage was in Q4 1877 in Hanover Square to Ellen Rosina DINES. When I first discovered this, I assumed that the two women were sisters or at the very least related. It just seemed to great a coincidence that someone should marry two unrelated women with exactly the same surname.

My assumption it would appear from looking at census returns is incorrect, as the two women seem to have different parents. However, I cannot believe that they are not related, though I can find no proof of any relationship. Are there any clever people out there, who can find a relationship? Or indeed, prove that there is no relationship.

P.S. I have put this in the Surrey forum since the first marriage was in Lambeth, but it could have easily been in any number of different forums. So administrators feel free to move.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Anton EVELEIGH
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 July 15 16:56 BST (UK) »
What have you established about each woman (birthplace, birthdate, parents etc) from the census returns?

I see that Ellen was a 27 yr old spinster when she married on 13 Dec 1877, daughter of William Dines, a bootmaker.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 July 15 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hannah Laura DINES, born 29 March 1838 in Thatcham, Berks. Her father was Henry DINES (1795-1855) and her mother was Sarah THOMPSON (1798-1865). She died in 1874.

Ellen Rosina DINES, born 10 Nov 1850 in Hampstead St John, Camden. Her father was William DINES (1823-?) and her mother was Elizabeth WENTON (1822-1859).

Some of the above is directly verifiable from census returns, some has been extracted from trees on Ancestry. But the census returns definitely point to different parents and place of birth.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 July 15 17:26 BST (UK) »
Ellen's father William was born in Thatcham, according to the censuses, so presumably is related to Hannah - perhaps an older brother of hers, have you looked at that possibility?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 July 15 17:32 BST (UK) »
No. I wasn't aware of the Thatcham connection. I won't be able to do it tonight, but will try and have a look over the weekend.

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 July 15 15:58 BST (UK) »
Interesting. Henry DINES marries in Thatcham in 1821 and basically spends the rest of his life there, whilst William DINES is born there in 1823 before moving to London. So clearly some family connection, but not I think brothers. From what I can see Henry's father was also called William and had five children: Hannah (1789), John (1790), Henry (1795), Daniel (1797) and James (1800). So if anything given the 23 year gap, William could have been the older William's grandchild, though I haven't found any evidence. Although the dates are not great, there is a William DINES on the 1841 census, who is the 14 year old son of John DINES. So if this is the correct William, then Hannah and Ellen would be cousins.