Author Topic: Nellie Waltham married to Christopher George Carruthers then John JamesO'Hanly  (Read 3135 times)

Offline Benny Gillies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am trying to find details of the date and place of the death of Nellie Waltham. (Born Lincolnshire England 1890)
She emmigrated to Canada in 1911 and married Christopher George Carruthers who was killed in action with the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles at Vimy Ridge 1917. She remarried to John James O'Hanly in Toronto in 1928 and I found a record of her on an electoral roll of 1958 living in Broadview Toronto. I have so far drawn a blank regarding her death.
Gillies, Frood, Carruthers

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nellie Waltham married to Christopher George Carruthers then John JamesO'Hanly
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 July 15 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hello and a very warm welcome to RootsChat  :).

I can't help with the death but someone else may be able to.

I don't know if you are interested in and/or have Christopher's full military file but it is available so I thought I would post it....Library and Archives Canada is digitizing all the WW1 military files....

http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B1529-S010

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Benny Gillies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Nellie Waltham married to Christopher George Carruthers then John JamesO'Hanly
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 July 15 17:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.
I did already have that file as someone connected with the Canadian Mounted Rifles passed the link on to me.

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 July 15 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi benny,

He might be listed in the Ontario Cemetery finding aid site. You can then contact the cem admin for info.
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi,

I am not seeing her death in the papers so far.  I found John J O'Hanley's obituary in the Globe and Mail paper, but it doesn't say where he was buried :'(

If you need his information - he died March 26 or 27th 1950 (depends on how you read the obit).  The notice is in the March 27th edition of the paper and it says the he was "stricken yesterday", was 70, had worked for the Canadian General Electric Company for 24 years, died from a heart attack at his home 218 Glenholme.  He was born in Brantford.  He was a racing fan.  Leaves wife Nellie Waltham O'Hanley.  Brothers Allan, Leslie and Howard.

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
OK - Just found her.

Nellie's obituary is in the Toronto Star newspaper on May 24, 1962, page 35. 

She died on May 21, 1962, at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.  Address had been 670 St Clair W.  Wife of the late Jack O' Hanley.  Grandmother of A and M of Dumfries, Scotland (won't post full names in case still living).  Cousin of Joseph Parkinson of Toronto.  Interment Prospect Cemetery.

RK

Offline Benny Gillies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
RK
Great work. I am very much indebted to you for this information. You say the two grandsons were A and M. These are my half brothers. Could the A be R? He was Ray Anthony Carruthers (now deceased). The M is Removed Carruthers.
You give the address as St Clair W. Rae had named his house St Clair. So mthat all fits in.
I would really now like to find the birth details of their father. (Nellie's son) William George Carruthers born in 1914 presumably in Toronto. He was brought to UK with Nellie in 1920 and it would seem he was left there and brought up by his granny. He married my mother had the two boys then died of TB in 1943. Finding his birth details would tie everything up.
Is there any way I can get a copy of the Toronto Star obituary notice you have mentioned?
Best wishes
Benny

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi Benny

we have a 'no living people' policy here, is removed still alive?

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Benny Gillies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Yes Dawn he is still alive.
I looked at the link you gave but could not find a date. Just the year. Am I doing something wrong?