Author Topic: Nicholas Cafferata = James Cafferata? Kansas?  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Great Great Grandfather, William Cafferata
    • View Profile
Nicholas Cafferata = James Cafferata? Kansas?
« on: Saturday 25 July 15 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi there. I'm trying to ascertain whether Nicholas Cafferata turned into James Cafferata and would be very grateful for any thoughts in the matter, to either prove or disprove.
Nicholas Throckmorton Cafferata was born on 27 Jun 1858 in Wavertree, Liverpool, England and appears on the 1861, 1871 and 1881 UK census returns. In the 1881 census, he is described as being a medical student.
Then, the UK trail goes cold. A brother, Joseph, and nephew, Marmaduke, both emigrated to Canada so I thought a "New World" search may help. I came up with the following results:

The Kansas State census, 1885 for Clay, Kansas gives a N T Cafferata who is described as a doctor (Tie in with UK 1881 census?) but a slightly lower age of 24.
Subsequent State and Federal census returns show either a James Cafferata, James N T Cafferata or James N Cafferata living in the same area, with similar ages and occupations.
findagrave.com gives James Cafferata d. 13 Sep 1930.

So, is this the same person? Can you help me clear the matter up? I haven't been able to find any immigration records so far.
Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.
"Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nicholas Cafferata = James Cafferata? Kansas?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 July 15 18:24 BST (UK) »
There are a lot of newspaper articles mentioning him.  This one from 1892 - http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/71569267/ - says he got $10,000 from England from his mother's estate.  You can see the text if you scroll to the bottom.  Did your Nicholas have a mother that died in that time frame?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 July 15 19:22 BST (UK) »
IF the parents were William and Elizabeth Waterworth/Cafferata. William died 1874 and there is a BMD death for Elizabeth which just shows her age as 7_  W.Derby - 8b 370 - September 1891

Looks as if they could have had that kind of money  -

http://www.cafferata.plus.com/aqwg06.htm

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 July 15 19:25 BST (UK) »
6 October 1874 (died 5 th September 1874) probate for William (plaster Manufacturer)  - Effects under £14,000 left to Elizabeth Cafferata (widow - relict and sole executor of 23 Millgate Newark Upon Trent.)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 July 15 19:32 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Cafferata passed away 6 September 1891 Middlesex England. - probate date 24 Sept 1891 -
The will with a codicil of Elizabeth Cafferata late of 16 Glazbury Road West Kensington in the county of Middlesex. Widow who died 6 September 1891 at 211 Edge End Liverpool in the County of Lancaster was proved at Principle Registry  by Redmond Parker Cafferata of Irnham Hall in the County of Lincoln (Plaster Manufacturer) and Albert Stourton Cafferata of 16 Glazbury Road - solicitor, the Sons and Executors.

The Liverpool address fits with the West Derby death registration above.

Sandra

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Great Great Grandfather, William Cafferata
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 July 15 22:58 BST (UK) »
I just love RootsChat! The way that people can come upon a problem and offer new viewpoints.
Shellyesq, I have no doubt that the newspaper article you quoted gives me the link I needed. Sandra, as you pointed out, Elizabeth Cafferata died in the right timeframe. She left £14, 000 to be divided between her 8 surviving children. A cash amount was given to each child (not the same amount to each one for some reason) with the remainer divided equally between them. Given an exchange rate of about $5=£1, $10, 000 is about right.
I shall have to sign up to a free trial of newspapers.com to find out as much as possible.
Sandra, the www.cafferata.plus.com site you linked to is a site I made about my family history some years ago.
 Thanks to  both of you for your input.
"Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"