Author Topic: COLQUITE marriage 13 Oct 1577 Fowey  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Goldberry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COLQUITE marriage 13 Oct 1577 Fowey
« on: Sunday 26 July 15 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

I wondered whether anybody has access to the original Fowey Parish Registers.

There is a marriage on 13 Oct 1577 which is transcribed on the COPC database as John COLQUITE and Alse BEWES.

John Colquite and Alice had four children who were baptised in St Sampson or Gollant:
1580 - Marian
1582 - Edmonde
1585 - Robert
1588 - Henry

I believe the bride was possibly Alice Bice/Byse/Bysse of St Enoder, whose parents were Robert and Marian, and I wondered if it was possible for anybody to view the original to see whether it was possibly mis-transcribed.

Many thanks.

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: COLQUITE marriage 13 Oct 1577 Fowey
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 August 15 13:48 BST (UK) »
This marriage is on FreeREG; John Colquite and Alse Bewes  Fowey St Fimberrus Ph-not sure what Ph is 13/10/1577. However as I have input data into FreeREG in the past I can safely say all info comes direct from the original parish register. There is also a marriage for a John Bewes to Alice Bunye around the same time, so could be a possible brother.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Goldberry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COLQUITE marriage 13 Oct 1577 Fowey
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 August 15 15:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your input Paco.

I also noticed the marriage for John Bewes in St Stephens by Launceston, but it states that he was "the younger", in which case he would not have been the brother of my Alice Bice, whose parents were Robert and Marion.  I haven't been able to find a baptism for an Alice Bewes in St Stephens, but it would possibly have been too early for the records.

I've been researching the my family tree for quite a number of years now, and I'm still learning (and at times struggling).  Part of the problem with the Bice branch is that their surname was often misspelled.  I picked these variations up off the Internet yesterday:

"Includes Baer, Bair, Baire, Bairs, Bare, Barr, Bayer(s), Bayes, Bayre(s), Bays(e), Bear, Beus, Bewes, Beyer(s), Biar(s), Bias, Biasa, Bice, Bier(s), Bise, Bower(s), Bowyer, Boyars, Boyer(s), Buias, Buis, Buyer(s), Buyor(s), Buys, Byan, Byar, Byarse, Byas, Bye, Byer(s), Byiers, Byire, Byor, Byre(s), Byris, Byrn, Byus, and other variant spellings."

Other variations that I’ve come across whilst researching this branch of my family are: Bysse, Byse, Besse, Boies and Byssett.  I've even come across a marriage where my ancestor's name had been transcribed as "Wise", because of the old-fashioned way of writing the capital letter "B".

However, this kind of challenge is one of the aspects that makes genealogy so interesting!

So, to sum up, as Bewes is a known variation of Bice and, given the names of the children of John Colquite and Alice, it's still a possibility that Alice was the daughter of Robert and Marian Bice.

Similarly, the Bewes family from St Stephen by Launceston could be related to my St Enoder Bice family.

Thanks again.  :)