Author Topic: Records for Private 3318 William Rose of the 4th Batt. South Lancashire Rgmt.  (Read 1149 times)

Offline algy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Could anyone help me please, I am looking for the service records of 3318 Private William Rose of the 1/4 (4th) Battalion South Lancashire Regiment, any information from his attestation to his death on the 28th of September 1916 on the Some battlefield would be appreciated, I have purchased the regiment war diary but his name is not mentioned in there.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Hi

Over 60% of WW1 service records were burnt during the WW2 blitz.  There is no trace of William Rose with that profile

There is a Medal Roll Index card for him showing theatre of war as France and he entered there 28.6.15

He was awarded the British,  Victory and 15 Star medals

MRI entry shows Killed in Action 27.9.16 - not 28th
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline algy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Carole. thanks for your prompt reply, pity that his records were destroyed but Hey! that is the way of the world. The information that you have provide is of great interest to me and now it begins to make sense as the SLRgmt war diary shows ordinary ranks being killed on the 27th whereas there were none on the 28th september 1916.   
Thank you again. Algy.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Hi
   Please edit your post to remove your email address as Rootschat does not allow email addresses
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline algy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Thank's Carole   so sorry for my breaking the rules, I ought to know better and have should have sent you a personal message, I think the excitement of receiving the information actually made me overide my commonsense.
Algy.

Offline Stephen Nulty

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Records for Private 3318 William Rose of the 4th Batt. South Lancashire Rgmt.
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 July 15 13:54 BST (UK) »
As Carol says earlier, he arrived "in Theatre" on 28th June and the diary records a draft of 200+ Other Ranks joining the Battalion in Ypres on 2nd July, so it is a fair assumption that he was part of this draft.

As regards the date of death, there are countless instances of diaries recording casualties which are officially attributed to a day or two (or even more!) later.

The Liverpool Echo of 9th November 1916 reported him as "Killed in Action" also listing his home town as Warrington
Researching the men of Prescot, Lancashire, who fell in the Great War

Please visit my website at www.prescot-rollofhonour.info

Offline algy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Records for Private 3318 William Rose of the 4th Batt. South Lancashire Rgmt.
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 November 15 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for the late reply Steven