Author Topic: Lithuanian Family? - Strazdaite/Strasdaite, Strasdas/Strazdas  (Read 705 times)

Offline JET7191

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lithuanian Family? - Strazdaite/Strasdaite, Strasdas/Strazdas
« on: Tuesday 28 July 15 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am hoping somebody could help me get some information straight so that I can start a proper search.

My grandfather's first marriage took place in Paris in 1930.  I have the marriage certificate (Found after his death) but can't seem to find any trace of her or her family.

The details on it are rather confusing;

The certificate says Elena Strazdaite (She has signed it Strasdaite).

The town seems to say Vertimas, but all I seem to find from that is translation websites.  Her nationality is given as Lithuanian.

Her father is given as Ien (?) Jonas, and I believe the male form of the surname would be Strasdas/Strazdas.

From my grandfather's papers I believe she had a brother Villis (?).

She left my grandfather in about 1938 and we would like to know what happened to her.

Any advice or pointers would be welcome.

Regards

JT

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lithuanian Family? - Strazdaite/Strasdaite, Strasdas/Strazdas
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 11:58 BST (UK) »
This sounds like it may be her:
http://www.anykstenai.lt/asmenys/asm.php?id=885
born 1910, father  Jonas Strazdas, mother Marija Pševluckaitė - played the violin, her father died when she was little, was in Paris 1928-1932.  A marriage to Povilas Bekeris is mentioned, and two daughters.

I would expect a French marriage certificate to have her mother's name on it, unless it's some sort of extract/short form.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JET7191

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lithuanian Family? - Strazdaite/Strasdaite, Strasdas/Strazdas
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 18:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Jorose.  I think that is her, though the birth date and town are different, all the other facts stack up, and her Mother's maiden name now makes sense (I couldn't read it from the handwriting).  Now I can try to figure out the rest of the story. :)

Regards

JT