Author Topic: NEED HELP Isaac Pincaney 1829-1899  (Read 1575 times)

Offline krisdmp96

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NEED HELP Isaac Pincaney 1829-1899
« on: Friday 31 July 15 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking for help in breaking down a brick wall of mine and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to find a baptism record for my 3rd great grandfather Isaac Pincaney or any relevant information in regards to his parents or siblings.

Isaac was born in Derbyshire anywhere from 1819-1831, according to his death record, he was born in Abt. 1820, in his 1871 census Abt. 1824, in his 1881 census Abt. 1819, in his military record Abt. 1831, and finally in a civil service evidence of age document which i believe to be his, 26 of Aug 1829.

His hometown as listed by the census records is simply Derby, according to his military records it is the parish of St Peters within Derby, and according to his civil service evidence of age it is St Alkmund's also in Derby.

He was married in 1856 in Boyle, Roscommon, Ireland to Ann Moloney/Mullany (spelling varies). According to this his fathers name was Edwin Pincaney. An 1851 Dublin Census lists an Isaac Pinckney in their registers which I believe to be him. According to his military record he attested on the 30 Jun 1852 in Macclesfield, Cheshire.

The civil service evidence of age record is dated the 17 Nov 1865, and his discharge from the military is dated 18 Oct 1864 which leads me to believe that the civil service evidence of age record was required for Isaac to be eligible for a pension as a birth record could not be found which documented his age and/or place of birth. It was signed at Portland Castle in Dorset, he was discharged at Portsmouth, and he settled in Southampton, although on his military record his intended place of residence was Liverpool.

Isaac was a sergeant in the 64th regiment of foot and had spent approx. 6 years 9 months in India, and 5 years and 6 months at "Home". Isaac's occupations are listed as a dock laborer, and as a pensioner, with his military record listing his occupation as a weaver. So far i have not found an 1841, 1891, 1861 (In military service at this time) or an 1851 England census (though a potential 1851 Ireland census). The spelling of his surname varies, it has been listed as Pincaney, Pincany, Pincanny, Pinckney, or as Pinkney (which is my current spelling of the surname)

His children include Isaac Patrick Pinkney 1857-????, Edward R Pinkney 1858-1897, William Henry Pinkney 1861-1839 (My 2nd Great Grandfather), Elizabeth A Pinkney 1866-1883, and a John, James Francis, and a Catherine Louisa Pinkney whom all died in infancy. His Wife Ann Moloney died in 1871 in Southampton.

Like previously mentioned any help would be greatly appreciated as I have been stuck on this for quite some time now.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: NEED HELP Isaac Pincaney 1829-1899
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 July 15 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, amd a warm welcome to Rootschat

Have you checked the PRs for St Peters Derby? Inotber words, are you stuck because you have searched them and found nothing, or because for whatever reason you have been unable to check them?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisdmp96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 July 15 13:23 BST (UK) »
I have checked them and found nothing. I was hoping that with the name of his father i would be able to trace the family further back but i cannot find any birth, marriage, death or census records relating to Edwin Pincaney.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 July 15 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is a marriage 1st Jan 1821, St. Michael Derby:-

Henry Pinckney = Maria Ferryday

The following Births for this couple:-

Henry Edward Pinckney  Christened 18th March 1821 St. Michael Derby
Mary Ann Pinkney           Born 26th April 1823  Christened  1st Nov 1825 St. Luke Chelsea
George Frederick Pinkney Born 3rd October 1825   "               "              "               "

They then appear to have the first child who was originally christened in Derby, christened again
Henry Edward Ferryday Pinkney born 26th Feb 1821 Christened 1st November 1825 St. Luke Chelsea.

However the latter does appear to prove that we are talking about the same couple.

Offer this because Pinkney/pinckney or Ferryday are NOT Derbyshire names, so feel there must be a
connection to your Isaac.

Wonder if Issac was born prior to the marriage, however cannot find a birth under Ferryday.

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline krisdmp96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 July 15 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for the input, I've already tried researching this as it has been listed in a few family trees (I think it originates from http://www.john-pinckney.co.uk/family/g1/p1949.htm) and it seems that that pinkney family relocated to St Luke and had their family re-christened there, if that is so then it would be strange that Isaac wasn't christened there, unless they were visiting family in Derby when he was born and perhaps the records from Derby have been lost or destroyed. It is worth noting that Isaac's first born was named Isaac, his second born child's middle name was Richard (Isaacs wifes father) and his third born child's middle name was Henry (Perhaps his father). But I am yet to find any documented evidence for Henry being Isaac's fathers name, while they were numerous children named Edwin (Most who died in infancy) from both Isaac's 2nd and 3rd children which seem to follow a similar naming scheme, Edwin Albert Henry, Edwin Albert, Edwin Goodhead etc. Again thanks for your input.