Author Topic: Sheffield Electoral Rolls 1920 - 25  (Read 6534 times)

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sheffield Electoral Rolls 1920 - 25
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 August 15 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi dobfarm,

The problem is this - I only have a name and an occupation for my grandfather as he appears on my mother's b/c and also those of her siblings but he and my gran never married. My mum was born in 1913 and her youngest sibling in 1921. So I have have no idea of his age or where he was born. He is deceased on my mother's marriage cert in 1935 and my gran married someone else in 1934. He appears in a Sheffield newspaper in 1920 being fined for not sending his child/children to school. The address shown is the family home at 11, Beeley Street, Sheffield.

Some of the above I found out after I had applied to Sheffield Archives to research the 1920 electoral rolls ( the 1918 and 1919 no longer survive) The results took almost a month to be emailed back to me. Edward Stephenson is registered at the address in 1920. This throws up another facer as all his family are known as Stevenson and if he filled in the electoral form himself why would he write Stephenson. I assumed it was then as it is now and you fill the form in yourself?

So what I was really wanting is to look through the electoral rolls from 1920 to 1934 to try to find out when he disappeared from that address. Someone suggested looking in surrounding streets but I think for now it would be better to stick to the electoral rolls.

When I read your message I was amazed that someone would go to the lengths which you seem to be offering and I thank you so much for that offer. However, my daughter-in-law has come up with a relative who lives in Sheffield and is 'in' to genealogy and so is going to ask her if she would undertake the search for me. I shall keep you posted regarding her answer but we have high hopes.

Once again let me say thank you for your interest and for your kind offer.

You've been posting many years on the net over this issue,
~~~~~~~~-----------

Little tip

After making an issue, requesting for help on this website, even if you later get/find offline help yourself (Keep that to yourself-does not matter if later duplicated), by refusing help offered now! may put members off helping you in your future request for help!  with any of your other ancestry. :)
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 August 15 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi dobfarm,

You are truly amazing. I'm very grateful, I really am. None of the ladies shown on the marriages was my gran though. Her maiden name was Toulson. I can't find a marriage for her other than 1934 and her status on that certificate is single. (There is an Edith Annie Toulson who married in 1904 but I've checked that entry and it is a different person who was slightly older.) I cannot find any trace of a marriage between her and Edward.

You say that O was for occupational qualification. Does that mean that only certain occupations were able to vote and if so why would a mechanical engineer qualify other than as a trade?

Do you know how people registered to vote? Was it as it is now when people filled in a form and sent it off. As the spelling is Stephenson when the whole family were always known as Stevenson it would seem that perhaps it was filled in by someone else who was told the name and spelled it differently. That would explain how that could have happened.

Once again I thank you so much for doing that for me,

Towdlass
Stevenson, Toulson, Owen, Bolland, Laxton, Brocksopp, Butler, Banks, Beadling.

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 August 15 13:58 BST (UK) »
Nice day out cost nowt by bus pass OAP and got a pair of nearly new leather shoes at a £1 charity shop in Sheffield ;D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unless 11, Beeley street fits with the  same address from a sibling Birth certificate or death place ? of your family Stevenson, then this Edward Stephenson and his wife Edith Annie Stephenson (Unless your Granny's first name was Edith Annie ?) then I doubt if this Edward Stephenson is your Edward Stevenson. ???

Occupation of property as in Occupier

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/libraries/archives-and-local-studies/collections/electoral-registers.html

http://www.electoralregisters.org.uk/searching.htm

(note occupation means occupation of a property, nothing to do with employment) see link

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Though nowt to do with E R's

A mechanical engineer in Sheffield was considered a very upper working class trade job but being Sheffield engineering the main industry they were 2 a penny as Clothier were in Bradford or a Coal miner in Barnsley

:)

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 August 15 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi dobfarm,

Yes my gran was Edith Annie Toulson and the address on the birth certificates was 11, Beeley Street, Sheffield. Also there was a piece in a local Sheffield newspaper in 1920 which listed people fined for not sending their child/children to school and Edward Stevenson of 11, Beeley Street was listed.

So pleased you got something for the days outing. Shoes sound like a bargain.

Towdlass

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 August 15 20:31 BST (UK) »
Possible Edward

Older Edward but not impossible  wife Annie E in say in a mental hospital  or bed ridden around 1912 Edward let loose to wonder off for his manly needs aged 49 in 1912 ;D

Births Sep 1863   

STEPHENSON  Edward Foster    Hemsworth  9c 73

Marriages Dec 1888   
BLAND  Annie Elizabeth    Sheffield  9c 529   
FLINT  Lucy     Sheffield  9c 529
STEPHENSON  Edward Foster     Sheffield  9c 529 

Deaths Sep 1914   

Stephenson  Annie E  52  Rotherham  9c 851

Right time- right place of death as below

Deaths Mar 1930 

Stephenson  Edward F  67  Ecclesall B.  9c 427   

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 August 15 22:13 BST (UK) »
Little tip

After making an issue, requesting for help on this website, even if you later get/find offline help yourself (Keep that to yourself-does not matter if later duplicated), by refusing help offered now! may put members off helping you in your future request for help!  with any of your other ancestry. :)

Hi dobfarm,

I take your tip above but my only reason for refusing your help was that I felt uncomfortable that you were willing to go so far out of your way on my behalf. I didn't feel right you putting yourself out to such an extent. I didn't mean to sound ungrateful I promise you. However, I see that the day was something which you just took in your stride whereas to me it sounded a major undertaking. I do appreciate what you've done to help me in my research honestly I do.

Btw my gran died in 1969 and figured quite a lot in my early years. She didn't have any mental issues at all. She was a workaholic holding down many cleaning jobs for various local firms and large houses. In the 1911 census she was working as a live-in servant at a small hotel near Sheffield city centre.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. Feel as though we are creeping up on the truth and shall get there before too long.

Towdlass

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 August 15 23:02 BST (UK) »
I think you are misreading what I have put as a scenario

Edward Stephenson b 1863

Edward married Sheffield in 1888, his wife was Annie Elizabeth Stephenson (nee Bland)

Edward's wife Annie Elizabeth Stephenson died 1914 age 52 (B 1863), and its her who I suggest may have been in ill health, either in Hospital or at home around 1912 .

This would allow Edward free to meet your granny Edith Annie Toulson around 1912 and she got pregnant! even though Edward was married.

Edward never re-married  but lived over the brush with Edith Annie and died 1930 aged 67 (B 1863)

Edward lived with a young lady Edith Annie when he was aged 49  Edith aged 18 or after his wife died 1914 but never married

Anyway, Edward Stephenson death in Eccleshall 1930 aged 67 is the only Edward death that fits so need to check E R's 1929 and 1931 Beeley street. also burials at Sharrow Cemetery Road 'Sheffield general cemetery' burials 1930

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 August 15 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi dobfarm,

Have you noticed that he has a son named Edward Arnold Stephenson b1894, just 3 years younger than my gran. That might be interesting too.

Towdlass