Author Topic: Ann/Annie Geeran-Guerin arrived New Zealand about 1849-1852  (Read 12742 times)

Offline purplemorpheus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann/Annie Geeran-Guerin arrived New Zealand about 1849-1852
« on: Sunday 02 August 15 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Can anyone help me find the arrival of Ann/Annie Geeran-Guerin in New Zealand around 1849-1852 from Terryglass Tipperary Ireland. When I received her death certificate for 1890 it stated that she spent about one year in New Zealand before coming to Sydney Australia, arriving here on the ship 'NEPTUNE' in 1852.
I don't know what part of New Zealand she came to or the name of the ship or what year which I would like to know if possible.
 Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.  :)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann/Annie Geeran-Guerin arrived New Zealand about 1849-1852
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 August 15 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just looking at the "Tipperary Emigrant Index" (website of Peter Madden), Anne GEERAN - 18 years, was an immigrant to Australia > as you've said, by the ship "Neptune" in 1852.
At that time she had a sister Bridget living in George Street (Sydney ?).
[Bridget GEERAN - aged 20 years arrived NSW,  per ship "Victoria" in 1849. ]

Being an immigrant to Australia, it seems most unlikely that she would have "emigrated" to New Zealand, prior to 1852.
However, once settled in Australia, she was free to journey across to New Zealand without the need to go through any further immigration process. 

Unfortunately, the passenger lists we have here for trans-Tasman travel, don't always give details of passengers names - many persons  were simply "lumped" into the category of "(number) travelling in steerage".    Occasionally names can be found in passenger lists published in newspapers, but that is rather "pot luck".

I'll have a look to see if I can find anything.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 August 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi purplemorpheus

Can you give us further details for Ann / Annie, please ?

*  Did she marry ?   If so, when - where ?

*  Might she have had relatives in NZ ?

*  Do you know anything about her sister Bridget ?    (Might she have also been in NZ ? )

~ Lu

Edit:     Please refer to Reply # 4

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 August 15 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Can anyone help me find the arrival of Ann/Annie Geeran-Guerin in New Zealand around 1849-1852 from Terryglass Tipperary Ireland. When I received her death certificate for 1890 it stated that she spent about one year in New Zealand before coming to Sydney Australia, arriving here on the ship 'NEPTUNE' in 1852.

Hi ... just a couple of queries about Ann's death certificate ?

*  Did the certificate actually note "that she spent about a year in New Zealand before coming to Sydney"  ???

*  Who was the informant to her death ??

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 August 15 02:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

I was able to find further info re: Ann (Annie) amongst some family trees published online.

I'll just add some notes here (you never know, somebody may find a link that assists your search).  :)

- Ann GEURIN married Joseph (Joseph George) ALLEN - NSW - 1854

- they had two sons -- John ALLEN b.c. 1859 and George ALLEN died 1925, Sydney

- John ALLEN (son) died aged 13 ? - inscription on headstone (along with that of his mother Ann ALLEN d. 1890)

- Ann (and Bridget) GUERIN (GEERAN) = their younger brothers Patrick / Michael and John also emigrated to NSW - 1854 by the ship "Switzerland".    [Bridget GUERIN married William BOULTON at Sydney.]
---------------

I can see there are funeral notices - "Sydney Morning Herald" - 29 August 1890 - for Ann ALLEN mentioning her brother John, - her sister-in-law Mrs P. GUERIN and brother-in-law William BOULTON.   Didn't spot a Death notice though ? (Sometimes people who had relatives living in another country whom they wanted to inform about a death, often added a note such as,  e.g. "New Zealand papers, please copy".  )  Seems that Ann's nearest relatives though, all lived and died in NSW ?

*  Do you know what became of Ann's husband, Joseph ALLEN ?

Offline purplemorpheus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 August 15 06:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Lucy2,
So sorry that I haven't replied until now.............. On Ann's death certificate it says  'about one year in New Zealand and 46 years in Australia'  which is a bit wrong, it was only about 38 years she had been living in Australia, so it looks like she may have gone to New Zealand first ??
The informant on the death certificate was her brother John Guerin and I think they were both living in  Kippax Street but not at the same address at the time of her death. Joseph George-George Joseph Allen is listed deceased on her death certificate for 1890, I don't know when he died.
Thank you for all he information you have listed, very helpful.

Cheers   :)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 August 15 02:33 BST (UK) »
Hi purplemorpheus

... thanks for the clarification.

Obviously we can't rely on information on a death certificate to always be strictly correct, and possibly brother John GUERIN may have confused Ann's length of time in Australia with that of their sister Bridget (arr. 1849) ??     

I wouldn't dispute that Annie spent a brief time in New Zealand, but my feeling is, that this was more likely to have been in the period between her arrival in Australia , February 1852, and her marriage in 1854.     

My reasoning for this is that New Zealand's immigration schemes for bringing young single Irish girls to this country, didn't commence until many years after 1851.  There exists the possibility that she may have come to NZ, say, as a servant of an immigrant family, BUT ... in order to have been a selected emigrant under the NSW scheme, she'd have to have returned to Ireland at some point before 1851-52. 

I note her immigration details (to NSW - 1852) record that she was a "child's maid".    Maybe once she'd secured work in Australia, she travelled to NZ in that capacity with a family she was employed by ?    Unfortunately, NZ (trans-Tasman) passenger records for this early time frame are sparse ... and those that exist tend only to record "employees" of emigrant families, simply as "servant".
I wasn't able to find any suitable record for GEERAN/GEERIN/GUERIN (or for her married name of ALLEN) in NZ records or newspapers.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 August 15 02:58 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Not sure if you have already uncovered the following information about Ann ??

New South Wales, Gaol Description and Entrance Books - 1818-1930 [Source: ancestry.com]

Year :  1852
# 1051 - GEURIN - Ann
Ship:   "Neptune" - 1851*
Native Place:    Ireland
Religion:  Cath.
Admitted:    (When) 28 July 1852      (Where) Pol. Office** [** seems to relate to "Police Office Registers" ? ]
Sentence:   = 1 month - sent to Tartan Creek Asylum, 9 August 1852
Purpose:   Confine

[*  Note:  "Neptune" arrived NSW Feb. 1852 - but it's journey to AUS would have commenced in 1851. ]
Dispose of:   9 August 1852

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 August 15 03:08 BST (UK) »
The reason for Ann's "confinement" is explained in this newspaper article.   (Very sad)  :(

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

(search on "ann guerin"  - 1852 )

"Bell's Life in Sydney and Sporting Reviewer" (NSW) - 31 July 1852 - page 3

The Police Register :
Extraordinary Case of Alleged Insanity.

- Ann GUERIN a young girl of interesting and intelligent appearance, about 18 years of age  .... [includes testimony of her sister named as Bridget BOLTON [sic] ]  ....