Author Topic: Birth/Death of Maryann Lawrence (née Sweeney). Also, Samuel J. Lawrence.  (Read 1768 times)

Offline DecimaHQ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth/Death of Maryann Lawrence (née Sweeney). Also, Samuel J. Lawrence.
« on: Thursday 06 August 15 13:27 BST (UK) »
I am attempting to locate the birth and death certificates of Maryann Lawrence (née Sweeney, born abt. 1848-1856 in Londonderry). Maryann appears in the 1901 census (aged 45), living in Walker’s Place with her son Samuel, but both she and her son do not appear on the 1911 census. Maryann’s age is indeterminable because she is listed as 33 in the 1881 English census. I can find no trace of either mother or son in the rest of Ireland in the 1911 census. I do not know if both died in the interim. Samuel James Lawrence – also known as Sammy – was born in 1879 in Calcutta, India. I would be very grateful if anyone could help me locate Sammy's death certificate. Maryann married Frederick Lawrence (1840-1881) in Derry in 1870 and their first child, Lydia, was born in the same year in the city. Frederick was a sergeant in the 12th and 54th regiments of foot and was sent to India around 1871. Maryann and Frederick had five children whilst in India, three dying in infancy: I have all of their birth certificates. Maryann and Frederick returned to England around 1880-1881 and both appear in the latter census, which took places months prior to Frederick’s sudden death. I would appreciate any help that may be offered. I have contacted the City Cemetery, but I have been told that it will take a week or more to answer my questions.

Thanks  :)
Cassidy - Lawrence - Stevens

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Birth/Death of Maryann Lawrence (née Sweeney). Also, Samuel J. Lawrence.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 August 15 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hello

There was a Mary Sweeney christened in the Long tower RC church in 1844, father John Sweeney,

Your Maryann was married at the same church in 1870 (her age was given as 22, husband 28)
John Sweeney was a butcher

A Mary Anne Lawrence, bridge st. Derry, was buried in the City cemetery on 5th July 1928 aged 80
Is that Her son Frederick Lawrence living in same street in 1911 census?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Londonderry_No__3_Urban/Bridge_Street/600195/

McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 August 15 18:47 BST (UK) »
Mention of both Frederick and Samuel Lawrence on thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=485037.0.

Frederick on Diamond War Memorial : http://diamondwarmemorial.com/soldiers/view/582
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 August 15 18:50 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of births started in 1864 so there are no birth certificates before that date.

For reference here's the link to 1901-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/No__4_Urban__West_Ward/Walkers_Place/1538050
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 August 15 07:10 BST (UK) »
To add to the earlier information,

Samuel Lawrence 43,  died 5th April 1926, buried Derry City Cemetery (plot 0745)
15 Bridge St. Derry
(Place of birth, Ipswich?)

Mary Anne Lawrence, mentioned earlier is buried in the same plot, so confident we have the correct family

06 July 1928 - Derry Journal:

LAWRENCE - jULY 5TH, 1928 at her residence , Bridge St. Mary Ann, beloved
wife of the late Sergeant Fred Lawrence.
-RIP. Funeral 7th inst. at 2.30, for her interment in City Cemetery. Sacred Heart of Jesus,
have mercy on her soul
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America