Author Topic: New Zealand History  (Read 30679 times)

Offline tigerprawn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New Zealand History
« on: Friday 07 August 15 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone!!

So far I have completed a massive chunk of my family tree, but it's come to a halt with my great grandparents that originally came from New Zealand. All I have been able to find is a newspaper article notifying of their divorce. I can't even find my great grandmother's maiden name. Can anyone suggest a decent resource for New Zealand family history?

Also, is there any way I can find out the name of fathers that weren't in the picture, without paying or having to obtain a birth certificate?

Reply to this message or message me if you have any information that might help me. It will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New Zealand History
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 August 15 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

You can check out the resources forum:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/new-zealand-resources-offers/

If you can be more specific about who you're looking for, and particularly the timescale and area of New Zealand, people will be able to give better targeted suggestions.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 August 15 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Tigerprawn

If they are deceased how about putting names here so we can help you,unfortunately our BDM's are down for maintenance this weekend but we may be able to help.

Cheers Janette

Offline tigerprawn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 August 15 10:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Janette and morose.

I am looking for Cecilia Margaret and Frederick Swain who lived at Oteramika Gorge and were divorced through the Supreme Court of New Zealand, Otaga and Southland District in 1907. I have been told that Cecilia is originally from Denmark with a maiden name of Beustbolt. However, I haven't been able to find this name anywhere.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 August 15 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Tigerprawn,

Here's their marriage in 1888: Cecilia Margaret LINDHOLD and Frederick SWAIN (1888/956). www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz

I'm not a NZ expert, don't know if the certificate would show much helpful info, but I assume so?

However, the account of their divorce proceedings in Southland Times 6 June 1907 says they were childless. http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=ST19070606.2.47&srpos=9&e=-------100--1----2frederick+swain--

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 August 15 13:38 BST (UK) »
NZ Certificates are in credibly informative esp at that time :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 August 15 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
here is their marriage entry from BDM's

1888/956   Cecilia Margaret    Lindhold    to Frederick    Swain

you will see here what would be on the register

https://bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/datacollected/marriage.aspx

It is always better to purchase a "printout" rather than a certificate as usually they have more information as they are a photocopy of the register entry

Cheers Janette

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 August 15 01:38 BST (UK) »
Hello...

As the divorce was over 100 years ago you can view their divorce file at Dunedin Archives. The divorce file often, but not always, contains a copy of the marriage certificate.

http://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=10626935

If you're unable to get to Dunedin you can either pay Dunedin Archives to photocopy the file and send it to you (usually a charge of at least $25) or start a new thread entitled "Dunedin Archives look-up". Include the above link and, on his/her next visit to Dunedin Archives, a kind Rootschatter will take photos of the file and email them to you.

---

I have completed a massive chunk of my family tree, but it's come to a halt with my great grandparents

As mentioned, the newspaper article in reply #4 says there were no children.

No children = no grandchildren = no great-grandchildren.

What makes you think they are your great-grandparents.

---

A Frederick SWAIN married an Agnes RUSSELL on 24 Sep 1907, a few days after your Frederick's decree absolute. Possibly a second marriage for your Frederick?

You might want to start an ITM look-up thread for both the 1888 and the 1907 marriages. Might have some info. Might not.

---

Where did you come across the name Beustbolt. Not a common name at all.

Regards
Beg

Offline tigerprawn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 August 15 03:49 BST (UK) »
I got the name Beustbolt was the name that my aunty gave me. She has also been working on the tree but also come to a stop there. If that name is incorrect that would be why.