Author Topic: Hogg/Bryson  (Read 15623 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hogg/Bryson
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 20:02 BST (UK) »
The Ettrick Shepherd - James Hogg's mother was called Margaret Laidlaw.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 20:04 BST (UK) »
I took part in a DNA project. There is a link to the Etterick Shepard. I will look up what is was later. 

Chris,

I'm not denying that as there could well be but link & descent are of 2 different meanings.
You could be "linked" through his g grandfather but knowing that "The Ettrick Shepherd" was of "calibre" if you like, they may have thrown that info. in  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Hogg/Bryson Help please.
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 20:04 BST (UK) »
I did find a form that said that 1826 Williams parents were born in Scotland and spoke "Upper Gaelic." I do not know what that means.
What was this "form"? Was it an original document or a transcription?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 20:19 BST (UK) »
The Ettrick Shepherd - James Hogg's mother was called Margaret Laidlaw.

And his father was Robert.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hogg

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 20:34 BST (UK) »
There is a story in our family that we are also related to the Ettrick Shepherd. Interestingly, I have heard this not only from my mother, but also from the husband of a 3rd cousin once removed whose line diverged from mine in 1826, which was still in the lifetime of the Ettrick Shepherd.

This cousin has sent me an obituary of his wife's grandfather, which states that the founder of both  lines moved from Selkirk to Larbert in 1765. You won't be surprised to hear that I have utterly failed to substantiate any of this information, but it's not for want of trying.

I do know of at least one living direct male descendant of 'my' line - maybe I should get in touch as ask him for a DNA sample.

I have a modest tree of 181 people related to the Ettrick Shepherd (not including 'my' line of course) which is far too big to post here, but if anyone would like a copy send me your direct e-mail address by PM.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Chris_Hogg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 01:02 BST (UK) »
I found a U.S. Census form that lists the place of birth for William Hogg and Margaret Minto Thomson Hogg as "Scotland Gaelic L" do any of you know what that means?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 01:28 BST (UK) »
Could simply mean "Literate"  ???

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 01:34 BST (UK) »
I took part in a DNA project. There is a link to the Etterick Shepard. I will look up what is was later. 

Chris,

Can you elaborate on this please  ???

Annie

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 02:05 BST (UK) »
I found a U.S. Census form that lists the place of birth for William Hogg and Margaret Minto Thomson Hogg as "Scotland Gaelic L" do any of you know what that means?

My take on the above is place of birth Scotland and that they spoke the Gaelic Language.

Could mean Literate like Annie suggest :-\ but I go with language.

Looby :)