Author Topic: Hogg/Bryson  (Read 15622 times)

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hogg/Bryson
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 18:59 BST (UK) »
Like you , I never give credence to others' trees on A******y  :o  garbage or otherwise ;D In fact I don't have a subscription to A******y or any other subscription site.

Quite so - it still amazes me the nonsense that appears on some public trees on the aforementioned site (other subscription services are available  ;D). And actually, their transcriptions of some of the source documents - census info in particular - is pretty dire - I've lost count of the number of corrections I've put in  :D I do, however, still have a subscription to the said site - mainly because I do actually like the interface for recording and building trees - and it's also pretty handy for non-UK stuff. But I'd never take anything on face value...  ;D

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 21:46 BST (UK) »
No, I entirely agree that not everyone can afford to use their credits for other people, and that it's really up to the person who wants the information to go and get it, and pay for it, but we were all (me included) dithering about and failing to notice the free reference on FamilySearch that would have led to the answer. It was extremely kind of Ruthhelen to fork out for it and break the deadlock :)

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Karenmayf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 17:41 BST (UK) »
Quick reply to    Forfarian, who says she has a tree of James Hogg the Ettrick Shepherd, I can't find a way to PM her with my email for a copy. Thank you.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 18:13 BST (UK) »
Karenmayf - the reason you couldn't find a way to contact me direct is that you have to make three posts on the open forum before you can use the Private Message system.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Karenmayf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Thursday 07 May 20 16:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the info. I will have to see what I can do.