Author Topic: Decode/refine a LDS reference to Norwich?  (Read 9101 times)

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Decode/refine a LDS reference to Norwich?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 12:10 BST (UK) »
Quick moment of panic; had a "Phoebe Crickmore" buried in 23 Apr 1820, Hempnall, after she'd married John Cook, (and become Phoebe Cook).

Turns out to be a separate (and very young) Phoebe Crickmore, born to William Crickmere and Mary Moore, 13 Feb 1820, Hempnall.

(data from freereg)

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 12:27 BST (UK) »
All sent to confuse us!

Did your William Smith have brothers Robert and Samuel and were their parents William and Mary Smith?

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 12:54 BST (UK) »
The "Lodge" connection is confirmed,  not only by a BMD trail, but by a Creditors meeting,
(Bury and Norwich Post 17 January 1821 page 3), where John Cook is bankrupt, and
an item of contention to be voted on is monies under the will of one "James Lodge"
who was a witness at the wedding of Phoebe Lodge to James Crickmore.

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 12:58 BST (UK) »
All sent to confuse us!

Did your William Smith have brothers Robert and Samuel and were their parents William and Mary Smith?

I genuinely don't know. I've just started researching the Smith family, back from my Ancestor "Emma Smith Smith".

I was going to (try to) look deeper into Harriet Cook before moving up the Smith line.

But if the Oakley registers aren't on line, that might get "tricky".

At the moment, all I've really got is a solid marriage from William smith to Harriet Cook, and three connected Cook names, Harriet, Robert and John. I'm not even sure of the relationship between the three Cooks.

I started this thread (with a marriage) because William and Harriet's only son, William Smith b1811, named a daughter (b1840) Harriet Cook Smith, which is always a lead worth following.  :)

I've been trying to get as much detail and context as possible before jumping generations, because the family is called "Smith" which is never going to make life easy for me.

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 14:23 BST (UK) »
There is a Will for William Smith of Dickleburgh dated 1812 which mentions his wife Mary and sons William, Robert and Samuel, which might be worth considering.

Nos 346 and 347 on this page then 446 on page 45 of 46.(sorry couldn't shrink link)

http://www.norfolksources.norfolk.gov.uk/DserveNS/dserve.exe?dsqServer=NCC3CL01&dsqIni=dserveProbate.ini&dsqApp=ArchiveNS&dsqCmd=Overview.tcl&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqSearch=%28%28text%29%3D%27william%20smith%27%29&dsqPos=34&dsqNum=10&PF=No

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 14:52 BST (UK) »
There is a Will for William Smith of Dickleburgh dated 1812 which mentions his wife Mary and sons William, Robert and Samuel, which might be worth considering.

Nos 346 and 347 on this page then 446 on page 45 of 46.(sorry couldn't shrink link)

http://www.norfolksources.norfolk.gov.uk/DserveNS/dserve.exe?dsqServer=NCC3CL01&dsqIni=dserveProbate.ini&dsqApp=ArchiveNS&dsqCmd=Overview.tcl&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqSearch=%28%28text%29%3D%27william%20smith%27%29&dsqPos=34&dsqNum=10&PF=No

Ah - "died in 1812" is the founder of the Milling business, who also ran the Inn.

http://www.norfolkmills.co.uk/Windmills/dickleburgh-burston-wood-postmill.html

(Scilla Bunn is(was  :'( ) my cousin, BTW)

And - you really know where the Norfolk Records are hidden don't you...

I'm impressed, and duly grateful.

BugBear (off to do some headache inducing transcription)
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 08:21 BST (UK) »

http://www.norfolksources.norfolk.gov.uk

Wow - that site has a truly terrible search facility, AND includes a full-image as the thumbnail (slow) when reviewing the results (of which there are many, due to the aforesaid terrible search engine!)

In the end I used AdBlock to turn the thumbnails on/off when viewing...

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hmm. The will is lovely, but has left me with a problem.

It mentions a wife, Mary and three sons, William, Robert, Samuel, with Samuel being the youngest.

Further, Samuel is not yet 21 in a will written in 1808, so he must have been born later than 1788.

Looking at Dickleburgh births in FreeReg, I can see only one birth for a Robert Smith; happily, he is born to William Smith and Mary Goff, baptised 11 Mar 1794.

Even better, there is only 1 Samuel Smith birth, also to William Smith and Mary Goff, baptised 9 Aug 1800.

(I do love it when Baptisms give the maiden name of the mother, don't you?  ;) )

But I can't find the elder son William Smith, which is "unfortunate", for my tree.

EDIT; he may (well) be bap 1783, where the mother is plain "Mary", not Mary Goss (or Goff). This is only 2 years away from his DOB calculated via his age at burial and his appearance in the 1841 census. Good enough - for now.

I can find the baptism of a Thomas Smith in 1791, who is not mentioned in the will!

Looking more generally, there are lots of daughters, starting in 1785 with Mariana, who also don't get a mention in the will (Mariana, Elizabeth, Sarah, Susanna)

And I can't find a William Smith -- Mary Goff (or Goss) wedding anywhere.

More work to do.

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 14:34 BST (UK) »

And I can't find a William Smith -- Mary Goff (or Goss) wedding anywhere.

Looks like Mary may have been local. FreeReg shows a good number of Goss/Goff BMDs for Dickleburgh.

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk