Author Topic: Informant is also inmate?  (Read 2869 times)

Offline caie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Informant is also inmate?
« on: Monday 10 August 15 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hello

Wonder if anyone can shed any light on information on a death certificate from 1889.

The where died address given on the cert is 38 Ashvale Place, Aberdeen.

The informant is 'son and inmate'. I have not come across that before in that context. Wondering is it a poorhouse, lodging house or similar?

Any ideas?

Caie
Morrison, Porter, Caie, Reid, Paterson, Robertson

Argyle and Aberdeenshire
Glasgow and Perth

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Informant is also inmate?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 August 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi, I had the same query only last week, in Wales, but I guess it's the same. Apparently inmate means someone living at the property where the death occurred. I too had assumed inmate meant of the workhouse or prison!

Mine said Mary Davies, inmate. I was hoping to prove that Mary was his wife (big age difference), so was disappointed but it looks as if the informant was her mother, another Mary Davies ;D   

Hope that helps.

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline caie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 August 15 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hello - thank you for the response. Makes sense I suppose when you think about it but I, like you, thought it meant something different. At least good to know I don't have another avenue to search!! - and yes, helped a lot.

caie

Argyle and Aberdeenshire
Glasgow and Perth

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 August 15 21:52 BST (UK) »
If you want to get an idea of the street, look at the Aberdeen Post Office Directories available free to view on the National Library of Scotland website.

The street runs from Holburn Street to Great Western Place. The houses are all tenements. You will probably also find it on Google Street View.

Offline caie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 08:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you GR2 - I'll have a look - anything to give me some information. That branch of my family are proving to be a bit elusive  >:(

Deirdre - I was lucky, as it said son and inmate. I have a few instances where there is a big age difference. Usually where the man is a widower and has children, one where his 2nd wife was nearer to age to his oldest son. For a long time I thought it was an error in the Census and should have been daughter.

caie

Argyle and Aberdeenshire
Glasgow and Perth

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 12:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this thread everyone!

At the weekend I noticed that the informant on a death certificate from 1839 was recorded as 'Inmate' when it was actually the son of the deceased. Fortunately it had his name as well so we knew who it was, but couldn't work out why it said 'Inmate' - now we know! We've been busy searching for nearby prisons/hospitals/etc to try to figure out where he was an inmate  ;D ;D

Spooky how often this happens - a thread appears just when we have come across something we don't understand............
Keddie, Hutson - Scottish Borders and Edinburgh
Menzies, Montague - Penicuik and Castle Douglas
McEvoy, Cavanagh - Ireland

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 22:38 BST (UK) »
I have a few death cetrt where the informant was  recorded as an "inmate".

I don't know if this was a local phrase but, from memory, all of these deaths were recorded in either Aberdeenshire or Dundee

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 08:21 BST (UK) »
I have a few death cetrt where the informant was  recorded as an "inmate".
I don't know if this was a local phrase but, from memory, all of these deaths were recorded in either Aberdeenshire or Dundee

That hadn't struck me before.

I did a quick search of mine for people with the word 'inmate' in their notes.
Aberdeenshire 14, Angus 9, Midlothian 3, West Lothian 2, Fife 2, Moray 1, Perthshire 1.

By way of comparison, these are the numbers of individuals for whom I have a death record in each of those counties
Aberdeenshire 493, Angus 1168, Midlothian 535, West Lothian 130, Fife 148, Moray 746, Perthshire 185. I also have 1804 in Lanarkshire and 594 in Banffshire, none of whose informants was desceribed as 'inmate'.

So it does seem to be mainly an Aberdeenshire/Angus usage. In other places the term 'occupier' seems to mean much the same.

I could do a much more detailed analysis but I don't have time this morning.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.