Author Topic: Do I have Gypsy blood  (Read 4112 times)

Offline Janice Arnold

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Do I have Gypsy blood
« on: Wednesday 12 August 15 11:09 BST (UK) »
Come to a halt on my family tree and I'm guessing it's because my Great great great Grandfather was a traveler. i was told years ago that we had gypsy in the family but didn't really know if it was true. I know from my Great great Grandfathers James James's marriage certificate that his father Samuel James was a Tinman. After some research that seemed to be a  common trade for a gypsy. I have found James as a sweep "which I know to be true" on a connection to gypsies site. Would be really grateful for any help.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Do I have Gypsy blood
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 11:13 BST (UK) »
Janice,

A big welcome to RootsChat. I hope you find the site useful, and enjoyable - but most of all that you find more about your ancestors.

I've moved your post to this Travelling People section of RootsChat, so hopefully you'll get lots of help and ideas.

Trystan
RootsChat Support
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 15 15:47 BST (UK) »
Janice; James is a very well known and widespread Gypsy surname.

Want to know a dirty little secret? I grew up knowing a James girl. Over half a century later and I swear there's not a week goes by that I don't think of her!  :( Mental, I know. It's just something in the blood.

Anyway, yes,now ye just need to carry on doing what we, as Genealogists, do. Dig back. Only, try doing it open mindedly. Go at it like a Dog after a bone? Ye get blinkered.

Just do the old finger tip search bit. Moving backwards from yeself. Leaving no stone unturned. That way, time ye get back to that GGG Grandad, ye'll have a firm foundation and a sound methodology to tease out what ever there is to find, without bias.

Besides; It's great fun, snooping around in peoples past lives. Keeps us out of mischief and flat skint too!  ;D
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 14:49 BST (UK) »
Want to know a dirty little secret? I grew up knowing a James girl. Over half a century later and I swear there's not a week goes by that I don't think of her!

Over half a century later, I still think of a certain one that got away, of course, in my mind he is still 19, but with a bit of research I found one of his daughters on Facebook with her wedding photos.  Oh dear, this handsome 19 year old is now a 74 year old man  ::)  I guess you'll find the James girl has similarly aged.

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 15:25 BST (UK) »
Heart breaking, isn't it?

Anyway, I was thinking about ye man there. I think there's genuinely a very good chance that he'll prove the real deal. All the right boxes are getting ticked.

Fastest track might be to work with the census'. I don't know if ye could even get a certificate for that far back? Dunnow. Not clear, in my head, how far back he is. Or how far back we can get paper work.

Certainly worth a shot though.
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')