Author Topic: Helen Milne born c mid 1850's Huntly - ? illegitimate  (Read 6090 times)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Milne born c mid 1850's Huntly - ? illegitimate
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 August 15 11:59 BST (UK) »
I can see 2 on there
Statutory Deaths 1855-2014
(I fill in the boxes like this)
Helen Wilson
female
1920 - 1922
County/City/Minor Records: Aberdeen
district: all districts
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline meljade

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 August 15 12:19 BST (UK) »
I have looked at all sorts of possibilites (Wilson and Milne including names 'start with' and traditional soundex etc) Short of downloading the certificates for each possibility, nothing seems to match.  I have found x2 Helen Milnes in Aberdeen who died in 1921- Helen Duff Milne and Helen Mary Milne with the 'other surname Urquhart'. These names don't match any other family/maiden names.  There are 8 Helen Wilson's who died in Aberdeen in 1921, once again the 'other surnames' listed don't match any family/maiden names.  I have been at this most of the afternoon, so perhaps I'm going slightly mad!

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 17:32 BST (UK) »
Mel,
You are not going mad!
NONE of the potential deaths is the correct one.

I was at the GRO today, and took a note of this before I went.
I am familiar with errors in indexing and tried every option but the death simply isn't on SP

Staff are looking into it, but it looks as though the 1921 death has never been indexed.

When they find the original, and it's been added  they will call me and I will let you know.

Offline meljade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 August 15 00:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for enquiring. How very odd that it is not on the register.  Do omissions of BMD happen frequently??  I've never heard of it before.   

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 20 August 15 09:03 BST (UK) »
Do omissions of BMD happen frequently??  I've never heard of it before.

No, but I am sure I have one whose death is also missing. He's in the 1901 census, and his widow is in the 1911 census, but I can't find the certificate.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline meljade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 August 15 09:20 BST (UK) »
Interesting. Luckily I found Helen's Will on SP, so I could confirmed her death.  Have you been able to find a Will for your person which might help with a death date?  I have to question now whether Helen's birth date (and hence finding a birth cert) had really not been registered because she was illegitimate or whether it just hasn't been placed on SP because it hasn't been indexed at all?  Food for thought......

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 August 15 10:08 BST (UK) »
Have you been able to find a Will for your person which might help with a death date?
No.

As far as Helen's birth is concerned, being illegitimate would not of itself affect whether or not an event was registered. From her age in the 1861 census, it looks as if she was born in 1852/3, and this being before 1855, it will affect the likelihood of a record.

As GR2 and I have already said, your next step in the search for Helen's birth is the Kirk Session minutes.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline meljade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 August 15 10:27 BST (UK) »
Yes, after your both your suggestions I decided to put in a request to see whether someone would be able to help with searching the Huntly Kirk Sessions for mention of Helen Milne's birth on the "Lookups Request Board" (I'm in Australia so getting a chance to do this myself is not possible).  From some of the response it appears as it may not be so easy??  Anyway, I have already made more progress than expected thus far, so if her birth remains a mystery for the moment, so be it.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=728245.0

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 August 15 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

It might be worth downloading the Inventory on Scotlandspeople for Helen Wilson or Milne. There is no will because she died Intestate but it might be worth looking at exactly what the document says.

Andy