Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 1  (Read 66066 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 1
« on: Thursday 13 August 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
George Hood of Selby, a Tanner, died on the 18th September 1845 at a street called Gowthorpe, Selby, Yorkshire.

There does not appear to be a burial reference in the Selby Parish Register. When we visited Selby 4 years ago, there was no grave at Selby Abbey Churchyard or inside, for him.

I am looking for any information please, regarding the Burial or Grave location?

Thanks, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 August 15 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Selby Parish records are held at York university in the Borthwick institute, York city - I would contact them and ask if there are any grave plot maps, grave register or a Sextons book (Grave diggers grave reference location book, with names of people buried and where unmarked graves are located -ref points from known headstones- {Example only:- Row C-  Fred Flintstone's unmarked grave, 7 graves West of Joe Blogs headstone]

Not all these type of records survived though, so be prepared for disappointment before you contact them but you maybe lucky though..  :)

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/CBW/WRY/Selby.html
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline KLM

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 August 15 11:35 BST (UK) »
He might appear in the NBI (National Burial Index ) if you are lucky.You will possibly find this in your local Family History Society
Malone...Cheshire & Lancashire.Boswell...Bucks and Hunts.Lister...Yorkshire and Lancashire.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 August 15 09:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the responses.

Yes, I have already contacted the Borthwick Institute near York with a list of all the newspaper, directory and document references found to date, that my ancestor George Hood was mentioned in. My George Hood of Selby even had a Steam Engine, with boiler and base.

The Hood's also brewed beer at Selby, Yorkshire and were also Tanners 1822, 1835 and c.1840. His occupation was a Cooper when he married in 1815.

I had forgotten the National Burial Index, so thanks for reminding me.

At Selby, there was also a Quaker Burial Ground.

Mark

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 August 15 14:06 BST (UK) »
Not sure when it opened but he does not appear to be in Selby Cemetery - records available on FindMyPast, but there again I don't know the period covered.

He doesn't appear on the NBI list.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 August 15 13:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you BumbleB for looking at NBI.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 August 15 15:16 BST (UK) »
Just a slight possibility in the tale of   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~  ?

I'm a bit suspicious of the that other George Hood who died Leeds Sept 1845 ? As its was the early days of GRO records, I have known double entries before- Could have died in Selby and buried Leeds if he came from Leeds and was only residing or visiting Selby at death being take to Leeds later.

Think the Leeds George died age 78
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 August 15 15:48 BST (UK) »
Just a slight possibility in the tale of   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~  ?

I'm a bit suspicious of the that other George Hood who died Leeds Sept 1845 ? As its was the early days of GRO records, I have known double entries before- Could have died in Selby and buried Leeds if he came from Leeds and was only residing or visiting Selby at death being take to Leeds later.

Think the Leeds George died age 78

These are two definite and separate September 1845 newspaper entries in the Deaths column.

The York Herald 13 September 1845
[above the death entry it says On Friday, the 5th instant] "Same day, aged 63 years, Mr. George Hood, of Leeds, formerly a Serjeant in the 7th Regiment of Foot."

Now my George Hood, Tanner of Selby died 18th September 1845 according to his Death Certificate at Selby aged 60 years.

My ancestors placed a Death notice in The Leeds Intelligencer on the 20th and also The Yorkshire Gazette on 27 September 1845 ...
"On Thursday, the 18th inst., much and deservedly respected by all who knew him, aged 63, Mr. George Hood, of Selby, tanner."

Deaths of Two separate individuals both called George Hood, but having seen the earlier death, I wondered if my George Hood might also have served in the Services before his 1815 marriage.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 August 15 18:35 BST (UK) »
Try finding both George's on 1841 c

I not so sure, both aged 63 in the newspapers, date of death and date of burial are not always put down as death date but burial date

My great X 3 granny died aged  84 1852 on death certificate, was 74 on her headstone which match 1851c age 73 and was 72 on the parish register burials