Author Topic: Electoral Rolls  (Read 12856 times)

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral Rolls
« Reply #18 on: Monday 17 August 15 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Beg
The site you found   "The Tree of us"   contains all of my wife's research on this particular family I could have made things easier for everyone had I remembered it existed.
This site is done by a distant cousin of mine years ago but apparently people can add to it and unfortunately things can be added wrongly.

Colin 

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 17 August 15 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Wivenhoe
From the start Bridgen Brennan married Patrick Joyce at Oughavel South Mayo 18/3/1840
Issue: Mary Ann Joyce CA. 1841 Adelaide Married 21/11/1858 Austin O'loughlin Kapunda Marriage Certificate  Died 14/5/1896 Reefton N/Z Archdiocese of Adelaide

Patrick Joyce CA: 1845 Magill Died 10/9/1918 Magill S/A [Twin]
John Joyce CA: 1845 Magill Died 4/2/1846 Migill S/A [Twin]

Michael Joyce born 12/11/1846 Migill S/A Died 9 April 1935 Kapunda

Catherine Martha Joyce Born 17/7/1850 Kapunda Died ?
Married Michael McCormack 29/6/1876 Hokitika N/Z

John Henry Joyce 15/11/1851 Kapunda Bap.30/11/1851 Kapunda Died 18/8/1930 Magill SA

Patrick Joyce Died 30/1/1852 Kapunda husband of Bridget Brennan

Bridget Joyce Brennan Married John Whelan 12/7/1852 Kapunda
Issue: Thomas Whelan Born 12/1/1854 Bap, 31/2/1854 Kapunda Died 15/3/1856
Patrick Whelan Born /1/1855 Adelaide Died 17/2/1855
Hugh Whelan Born 27/3/1856 Bap. 29/3/1856 Kapunda
[Info from Archdiocese of Adelaide]

John Whelan Died 5/10/1856 Kapunda [info Library Christchurch]
Hope this helps in some way

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 17 August 15 11:31 BST (UK) »

SA marriage
1852 12/405  WHELAN  John  m.   JOYCE  Bridget           Adelaide

NZ marriage
1871/8655 Bridget  WHELAN    m  James  CARROLL

Bridget is likely illiterate, but do you have these two certificates to compare the signature..........who are the witnesses on 1871 certificate?........what religion?

NZ death
1888/4466 Carroll  Bridget   69Y

Evening Post 1 Dec 1888
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=EP18881201.2.17&srpos=1&e=01-12-1888-02-12-1888--10-EP-1----2+carroll--
death of CARROLL died Lyttleton......

Do you have this 1888 death certificate?

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 17 August 15 23:50 BST (UK) »

NZ marriage
1871/8655 Bridget  WHELAN    m  James  CARROLL

Bridget is likely illiterate, but do you have these two certificates to compare the signature..........who are the witnesses on 1871 certificate?........what religion?

Wivenhoe ... please refer to Replies 4 - 5 and 6 of this thread ... showing how this couple has been eliminated from this search.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 17 August 15 23:55 BST (UK) »

NZ death
1888/4466 Carroll  Bridget   69Y

Evening Post 1 Dec 1888
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=EP18881201.2.17&srpos=1&e=01-12-1888-02-12-1888--10-EP-1----2+carroll--
death of CARROLL died Lyttleton......

Do you have this 1888 death certificate?

Please refer to Reply # 3 where this matter has already been covered in some detail.

[I wouldn't recommend the purchase of this death printout, unless it can be proven somehow that Bridget JOYCE / WHELAN / nee BRENNAN actually married (or had an association) with someone named CARROLL.    "Ochsenkopff" seems only to have connected to this 1888 death of a Bridget CARROLL on the supposition that it may have been the Bridget who married James CARROLL (1871) ... and / or,  because of a similarity in age to his Bridget WHELAN ? ]

~  Lu

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 02:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Wivenhoe
Have a Marriage Certificate for John Whelan and Bridget Joyce [Widow]
In the Presence of Patrick Mc Mahon and Bridget Mc Mahon
By licence at Kapunda

As Lucy 2 has given me all the details of a Bridget Whelan married to James Carroll there is no need for me to purchase any Certificates on that particular family as there is a lot to say she is the wrong Bridget Whelan on both accounts.

I really appreciate all of you who have being trying to trace Bridget for me, my wife has been looking for her about 17 years now and with the beginning of her dementia she finds it very confusing to try to continue with her research and i thought with the help of better qualified persons than myself maybe my wife would have some satisfaction before she gets worse .

I have not given up and i will continue to try and find Bridget as I think the key might possibly be the child Hugh Whelan although there was another family in Kapunda named Whelan the father was Hugh and he had a son also named Hugh and he was born 1855.
My wife has a Certificate of John Joyce born 15 November 1851 Kupunda to John Joyce and Bridget Brennan and lo and behold the witness was a Hugh Whelan who possibly may be related in some way but that doesn't help me locate Bridget.
Just going through Certificates and such and came across the death of Mary Ann O'loughlan nee Joyce and found that her mother's name was written down as Belenda Joyce formally Brennen interesting as now I will look for a Belenda Whelan.

Colin

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 04:15 BST (UK) »
Bridget CARROLL - died at Lyttelton - 30 November 1888

Hi Colin

Some further information on above, so that she may be eliminated.

Bridget CARROLL appears to have been the wife of John CARROLL who died at Lyttelton in May 1875.

John CARROLL - 40 years / his wife Bridget (30*) and children, Katherine (Catherine) - 13 , Michael - 10 and Anne - 8, arrived at Lyttelton as assisted immigrants aboard the ship "Caroline Agnes" in 1855.
[Note:  *  Bridget CARROLL's age is given as 30 years [bc 1825 ] on the immigration list- the image of same is very clear to read.    This is either incorrect ... or her age at death is incorrect. ]

According to a newspaper death notice (May 1875), John CARROLL (58) was the father of "M. CARROLL, butcher."

"M. CARROLL, butcher", was otherwise, Michael John CARROLL who also died in 1875, aged 32.

Catherine (a.k.a. Kate) CARROLL, d/o John CARROLL, married George AGAR in 1863.
George AGAR and Michael CARROLL are shown on electoral rolls as owners of a freehold section or sections in Lyttelton (pt. town section 193 - St David Street) otherwise listed as Winchester Street.

It was at "her residence in Winchester Street, Lyttelton" that Bridget CARROLL died.
It seems she probably resided with her daughter (Kate AGAR) or widowed daughter-in-law, Sarah Ann CARROLL at Winchester Street.

~  Lu

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 05:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Lu
Thank you for all that information it does prove to me that it may take another 17 years before the mystery of Bridget Whelan/Joyce/ Brennen is discovered but unfortunately my wife and I will not be around.

It is such a good thing to know that their are a lot of people in this world who will go out of their way to help others.

Colin

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

Haven't given up on this search, just yet.  ;)   I'll continue looking for you.

[And at least we've eliminated some you thought might be possibilities. ]

~  Lu