Author Topic: Help to find the last piece of the puzzle for John Glue/Glew  (Read 1200 times)

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help to find the last piece of the puzzle for John Glue/Glew
« on: Wednesday 19 August 15 13:15 BST (UK) »
John Glue was born 1796 in Rogate Sussex, he is son of Thomas Glue and Anne Taylor.
He was a Convict, sentenced to life and transportation, he spent a few weeks on the prison hulk "Leviathan and departed England on 18th November 1834 aged 38, on ship "Waterloo" bound for Van Diemans Land, he died in Hobart 3 weeks after arrival in the Colony.
I have all the above records, including a burial record, however none of these mentioned whether he was single or married.
I have recently found letters of petitions to investigate the matter and have the sentence reduced, from John himself in which he mentions his dear distressed wife, one from his wife signed Ann Glew and a few others, to the Right Honourable Lord Vincent Duncanon, Principle Secretary of State for the Home Department, Whitehall.
I have searched endlessly and have not been able to find a marriage for John and Ann ??
Can anyone come to the rescue so I can finally complete John's profile.

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help to find the last piece of the puzzle for John Glue/Glew
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 13:32 BST (UK) »
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 13:56 BST (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 14:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you, it seems this could be the marriage I'm looking for, it does seem odd that John married an Ann Taylor, as his mother was Ann (nee Taylor) however, stranger things have happened!
I wonder if they had any children, they would have to be born between 1820 and 1834 when he was transported. Any suggestions as to the best site to look.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 16:51 BST (UK) »
They were both of the parish of Rogate according to the SFHG Sussex Marriage Record CD but there's no baptism records for any of children in that parish.