Author Topic: s.s.hare  (Read 4953 times)

Offline tom-dick

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
s.s.hare
« on: Thursday 20 August 15 07:23 BST (UK) »
Sarah Jane Arnott nee Leech was on the s.s.hare when it was sunk by a German submarine in 1917.I am trying to find out if anyone else is trying to find out the history of the crew and boat.I know it was used un 1913 to bring in food for strikers in Dublin.Did the s.s. hare do the same route to England and back?thank you for your time,tom

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: s.s.hare
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 August 15 07:34 BST (UK) »
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 August 15 07:48 BST (UK) »
The crew who died are commemorated on Tower Hill Memorial, and can be found on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website (CWGC.org).

Search for date of death as 14th December 1917, serving in Merchant Navy, commemorated in UK.
Swords, Joseph Edward   Mate
Walsh, Charles  Fireman
Wilson, James     First Engineer
Hopkins, Joseph     Able Seaman
Arnott, Sarah Jane     Stewardess
Boyle, John     Fireman
Brennen, James     Fireman
Byre, William    Fireman
MacFadyen, Lachlan     Carpenter
McLanders, Bruce     Fireman
McMenamie, Donald     Ordinary Seaman
Eley, Daniel     Cook
Gilchrist, Donald     Second Mate
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline tom-dick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 August 15 09:28 BST (UK) »
thank you,kgarrad.I hope to get in contact with a descendant soon.I will let you know if I do,thank you once again,tom

Offline davidcotter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 23:34 BST (UK) »

Hi tom-dick, are you still interested in finding out more about the crew of the S.S. Hare? I'm trying to track down descendant's as well. Maybe we can share what we have discovered? davidcotter

Offline tom-dick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hello David,I have tried with little success to find out any information on the other crew members or their descendants.I was trying to find out before the centenary but hopefully there will be a renewed interest as it gets nearer to the 100 year anniversary.Do you know anything on the other crew or if they are doing anything for the 100 year event.I live in Australia,talk again soon,Tom

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 12:44 BST (UK) »
Research was undertaken by an ancestor of William Byrne and a little detail is given here - LINK

Tom
The memorial register refers to Sarah as the daughter of "William and Dora McLEAN (nee LEECH)"
Sarah's maiden name was McLEAN and her mother's maiden name was LEECH

William McLEAN married Dorah LEECH 1869 Dublin South Q- V2 P692

Sarah Jane McCLEAN was born Feb 07 1876 - Balrothery 1869 Q- V2 P484

She married Henry ARNOTT on Jul 27 1899 in Edinburgh

Sarah Jane ARNOTT nee McLEAN on 1901 census - LINK
at #39 in Drishogue, Millmount Ave. (Drumcondra, Dublin) with family and eldest son

Children
Henry William ARNOTT b 1900 Hartlepool, Durham, UK Q2 V10a P173
 - shown on 1911 census at - LINK; #6 in Tubrid (Drumrush, Fermanagh)
Andrew John ARNOTT b 1902 Hartlepool, Durham, UK Q2 V10a P190
 - shown on 1911 census at - LINK; #24 in Sandycove Road (Kingstown No. 4, Dublin)
Rhoda McLean ARNOTT b 1904 Hartlepool, Durham, UK Q4 V10a P133
 - shown on 1911 census at - LINK; #1.2 in Corrig Road (Kingstown No. 2, Dublin)
Rhoda married in 1934 Dublin North Q2 V2 P231 Arthur Grenfell CLARKE

Sarah Jane is in Roscommon at #6 in Derrycashel (Lissonuffy, Roscommon) in 1911 - LINK

She is described as married and there is an online military record for a Henry ARNOTT of the 13th Hussars which ties in with the marriage date; his DoD is shown as 04.02.1939

LINK to previous RC Topic
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 18:07 BST (UK) »
Joseph HOPKINS

Birth 1870 - LINK
Baptism 1870 - LINK

Father Francis HOPKINS & Mother Sarah SHERIDAN married 1865 - LINK

Children - at least 7 (1911 census states 8 born alive - 7 living)
Sarah 1866; Francis 1868; Joseph 1870; William c1877; Patrick 1878; John 1880; and Mary c1884

Sarah HOPKINS widowed on 1901 census with three sons - LINK at #278.1 in Thomas Street (Ringsend) (Pembroke East & Donnybrook, Dublin)

Joseph HOPKINS married Emily O'SULLIVAN on Jun 01 1897

on 1901 census with two sons - LINK at #53.1 in Thorne Castle Street (Pembroke East & Donnybrook, Dublin)
His brother Francis lived on the same road - LINK

on 1911 census with 6 children - LINK at #7 in Pembroke Cottages (Pembroke East, Dublin)
His brother Francis and family are still on the same road - LINK

His mother Sarah HOPKINS in 1911 - LINK at#12.3 in Irishtown Road (Pembroke East, Dublin)

Grand daughter Katie HOEY on 1911 census is daughter of Sarah HOPKINS and John HOEY m. 1891
1901 census for family - LINK at #284.1 in Thomas Street (Ringsend) (Pembroke East & Donnybrook, Dublin)

The family are not as a unit in 1911 and looks as if son John is in Artane and daughter Maria in  institution; daughter Sarah not obvious but there is a death in 1910 aged 14 Dublin South Q1 V2 P535 that is possibly her

There is a death of Sarah HOEY aged 37 in 1905 Dublin South Q1 V2 P522 and John HOEY aged 40 in 1905 Dublin South Q4 V2 P487; he has a workhouse admission for tuberculosis died Dec 15 1905

Emily HOPKINS on register of electors up to 1945
There is a death in Dublin North Q4 V2 P247 aged 69 which maybe her

There are marriages that may be Joseph's children but would need checking to be 100% certain
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline davidcotter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi tom-dick & myluck! thanks for getting back to us and for the useful record details. Indeed, I'm assisting a friend of mine whose descendant is Joseph Hopkins. She is keen to link up with other descendants of those who went down with the Ship. Are you by any chance descendants? There is some interest amongst trade union activists and local historians to make the centenary in some small way and to involve descendants. Ideas are welcome! 

davidcotter