Author Topic: The Cottage,High Street,Lamport  (Read 2747 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Cottage,High Street,Lamport
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 August 15 22:17 BST (UK) »
Just found this for 1911 - if you have FindMyPast or ancestry you should be able to search there:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7G4-R4R

Do you mean that you are not interested in the history of the house - just the Daniels family?

Offline lulubird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 August 15 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Like many other villages, Lamport would originally have had one main thoroughfare called "Street", hence Lamport Street and later High Street.   I have checked the Lamport censuses for the Daniels family but they do not seem to have been living there until after 1911.

My main interest is in the family,how long they lived in Lamport and the names of those living in The Cottage.  They are linked to the recently discovered grandfather of a close friend.

Once again, many thanks!

Offline Wynkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 19:52 BST (UK) »
I lived there for some years, it was originally owned by Lamport Hall and was an estate cottage, so workers for Lamport Hall would have lived there. The property was once three houses but was altered I suppose over the years to accommodate different sized families.

Parts of the house go back to 1600s. I bought the house after Sir Charles Isham died and left the house to two of his gay lovers.

I asked to see the deeds as they must be very old - but there were none as it had never been sold before.

I did meet one lady that had been there in WWII and the house was used to accommodate spies being dropped into occupied Europe by the carpet baggers. She also described different internal divisions and where old staircases had been.

The house is haunted by and old lady - if you want I'll tell you more....

Offline lulubird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 20:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your reply and information about The Cottage.  Fascinating stuff!  I was trying to trace the Daniels family who had lived there at one time and, fortunately, managed to trace a relative of the family who could help me through another route. I'll pass on your information about the property, if I may.  My contact never lived there herself but I'm sure she would be as interested as I was.  A ghost,indeed!

Offline Wynkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 22:27 BST (UK) »
After moving in I thought I was going a bit mad as when I went up the stairs I felt a presence behind me.  I turned around and there was an old woman in white.

This happened a few times and I went to my bedroom and said to the wife I am not sure if I am going nuts or drinking too much as an old lady follows me up the stairs.

My wife said thank goodness I am not mad. she does that to me too!

Small objects would move around the house and lights turn on or off, my stepson had a built in wardrobe and he would hear stuff moving around in it.

Before my bedroom was a dressing room and I had my computer there, often while engrossed in the computer the door would open and a person enter the room, walk behind me and open the door to go down the steps into the bedroom.

I thought on multiple occasions this was the wife going to the bedroom so would later go to the bedroom only to find she was not there.

It came to a head when I was painting the window on the inside, at the top of the stairs, I felt  something brush past the side of my face, when I turned I saw the old lady, it was midday.

That put the hairs on the back of my neck on end, I am not scared of her, and previously never believed in ghosts.

I sat in the window and regained my composure, and then carried on my work. A few minutes later she did the same thing.

I would be quite happy to have a chat with her but the annoying thing is as soon as you see her she disappears.

Again I waited for the hairs on my neck to go down and steadied my breathing and started painting again.

Three minutes later she brushed my face again, I turned and got another glimpse of her, this time I was angry and said if you want to talk fine, but otherwise **** off.

I never saw her again.

I met an old man outside my house and he said he had been to see the grave of his wife at the church, I asked if he knew who live din the house and he asked why. I described the woman and he said it was a lady that lived there after WWI and used to walk up the railway line every day to see her daughter in the next village.

In the attic of what is now part of the old post office is an area for cockfighting.

Denys Watkins-Pitchford MBE – also known by the pen name BB wrote books about Lamport and the apple tree in the garden of The Cottage was mentioned in on of his books when a fox hid in it.

Offline lulubird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 July 16 10:38 BST (UK) »
Good grief!  That is some haunting.  It was very polite of her to disappear when you told her to so she must have been a decent person in life.  Most ghosts,from what I've read, aren't quite so accommodating.

I remember when I was a teenager(many years ago!), my English teacher retired to Borley in Essex.  It had been the location of Borley Rectory, the most haunted house in England until it was burnt down in 1939. We all joked that she should look out for homeless ghosts looking to move in with her. Little did we know that she would acquire a phantom visitor. On a number of occasions, friends and neighbours would see a woman standing outside her cottage, looking in. She would go round the side of the cottage as soon as anyone approached the gate and couldn't be found.  My teacher never saw anything but there was definitely something odd going on.

I'll pass your amazing occurrence on to my Daniels link.  I'll let you know if the family ever mentioned anything similar happening during their tenure.

Many thanks!