Author Topic: Isle of Skye - and Ferguson family.  (Read 6971 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Isle of Skye - and Ferguson family.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 22 August 15 17:58 BST (UK) »
My friend doesn't have any certificates.
If it were me, then there are certainly a number of certs I would obtain to get the facts.

Well...........Colin & I have searched all we can in the census & no clues whatsoever.

Your friend will need to buy the marriage cert. for James & Julia as it's the only way to proceed further as there is no James Ferguson to be found where he should be nor would it be proof without knowing his fathers name  ::)

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline littleorme

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 22 August 15 20:30 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you both for your help.
I'll try to persuade my friend to invest in at least a couple of certificates, and take it from there.
Thanks again.
Clive
Moore - Co Down
Wilson - Co Tyrone
Richards - Staffs
Waldron - Devon
Hodge - Wiltshire

Offline littleorme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 07 September 15 14:39 BST (UK) »
Further to my last post.
We now have two certificates: the marriage of James Ferguson and Julia Richards, records his father as John; the second is of James's first marriage to Isabella McPherson in Glasgow, on July 4, 1862. He is shown as 25 years old. His father is shown as  John and mother's maiden name is McCormick. (Isabella dies in Glasgow in 1867). What a lot of extra information on Scottish certs !!
On the 1891 census for England, James recorded his place of birth as "Isle of Skye".
Does anyone know if there is a marriage of Ferguson and McCormick recorded for the right period, or even a birth of James?
Moore - Co Down
Wilson - Co Tyrone
Richards - Staffs
Waldron - Devon
Hodge - Wiltshire

Offline don537

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 21:08 BST (UK) »
I have read your messages with interest, my name is also Ferguson. I have researched as far back James Ferguson (1841/2) I have discoveries that his father was called John and mother was McCormick (I don’t know the first name - however their first child was named Mary so could be mothers name as well).