Author Topic: Can anyone claim a Mr RAYNER - Coast-blockadesman in Ireland c1838?  (Read 861 times)

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Can anyone claim a Mr RAYNER - Coast-blockadesman in Ireland c1838?
« on: Friday 21 August 15 21:06 BST (UK) »
Extracts  from Taunton Courier 21 Nov 1838 reporting upon two coroner's inquests:

Eliza RAYNER sworn._ Belongs to the Isle of Wight;  on Friday evening I came by the Defiance coach from Exeter, an outside passenger, sitting on the hinder part of the coach with my back towards the horses, the guard was sitting in the opposite direction;  I did not notice any conversation between the coachman and guard, the guard was perfectly sober and very attentive; I only noticed the coachman at Exeter, before I got on the coach;  the guard complained of the fog on the road, and repeatedly said, he hoped the fog would soon pass away.

Mrs. RAYNER, who was severely hurt in her back, will, it is expected, be able to resume her journey in a day or two.

The unfortunate Mrs. RAYNER is the widow of a coast-blockadesman who has recently died in Ireland;  she was with her two children on the coach journeying to the Isle of Wight, but is now detained at the George Inn by the late accident, where every comfort is bestowed, and attention paid her and the children by Mr. LOARING, until she can proceed on her journey:  happily the children, one nine, the other seven years of age, escaped unhurt.
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone claim a Mr RAYNER - Coast-blockadesman in Ireland c1838?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 August 15 14:47 BST (UK) »
If I can just add a little more information; Eliza was the widow of Robert Rayner. Robert originally entered the Coastguard Service on the 29 Nov 1831, being nominated at Cowes, with a first posting to Fairlight CG Station. On 30 Aug 1837 he was transferred to Glandore CGS in Ireland, where he was discharged dead on 21 August 1838.

Martin

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone claim a Mr RAYNER - Coast-blockadesman in Ireland c1838?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 August 15 17:04 BST (UK) »
Bless you, Martin.  I'd hoped you'd see my post.  ;D

My interest is the Defiance coach, and I'd been sitting on those reports for 'yonks'!

dee-jay
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk