Author Topic: George Lang died May 1927 in Wayne County Michigan  (Read 1821 times)

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Lang died May 1927 in Wayne County Michigan
« on: Saturday 22 August 15 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi I am trying to obtain the cause of my uncles death in Wayne County Michigan 29 May 1927 aged 27 by obtaining a death certificate. I followed a link through vital check to obtain a copy of the death certificate but when commencing to checkout the cost is approximately $100 which seems pretty expensive. Is there any other way that I can obtain the information at a more realistic cost?

He was born 4 November 1900 in Hamilton Scotland to John Lang and Elizabeth Campbell arriving in the States 26 August 1926. My cousin, now passed, said he was a bit of a rascal and liked to spin yarns that he may have died as the result of some criminal activity but he was a bit of a story teller, my understanding was that he was killed in an automobile accident but I have searched newspapers and can't find any reports. I would like to establish whether these are embellished family stories over the generations or whether there is any truth in them.

Thank you for any advice.
Lang, Campbell, Proudfoot, Bell, More, Macguigan, McAlinden, Young, Hyman, Hayman, Hyndman, McMillan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Lang died May 1927 in Wayne County Michigan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 August 15 11:33 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 August 15 16:27 BST (UK) »
For future reference, I would recommend checking http://www.deathindexes.com/sites.html any time you are looking for US death records or vital records.  Depending on the time frame, some of them are available online. 

If you can't find anything through there, try a Google search for (whatever state or city you're looking in) death records.  There are often options for ordering by mail that are cheaper than Vital Chek.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 August 15 17:14 BST (UK) »
For future reference, I would recommend checking http://www.deathindexes.com/sites.html any time you are looking for US death records or vital records. 

Thanks for posting the link, shellyesq. That's the way I was able to bring up the Michigan death certificate (was on my way out when I posted earlier).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 August 15 22:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the advice
Lang, Campbell, Proudfoot, Bell, More, Macguigan, McAlinden, Young, Hyman, Hayman, Hyndman, McMillan

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 September 15 22:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, I hadn't noticed your post with the certificate attached.

One of my cousins was prone to elaborating, so at least I know for sure it was a car accident. I will try to see if there is anything in a newspaper that provides any further detail but thank you again.

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 October 16 10:14 BST (UK) »
Its a while since the post - I can't find anything in a newspaper search but it appears auto accidents were quite common - the death certificate confirms his cousins name and address that I already had, is there any access to hospital records to find out any further information about him or the accident or a police record that may have been archived - I don't think it will tell me anymore about him than I know but may give clues to the other cousin - thanks again for any help

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 October 16 13:35 BST (UK) »
This post - http://dsgr.org/blog/?cat=19 - says that the Burton Historical Collection at the Detroit Public Library contains coroner's files.  There is more information about that collection here - http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/featuredcollection/burton-historical-collection

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 October 16 16:04 BST (UK) »
You may need to fiddle with the search criteria  a bit. This is the best I can get from the OCR text at the bottom.

"One night of Cieorge {George} Lang. 20 {29] years old, 1440 Helen avenue, in Receiving hospital. David Watt, 21, same address, who was riding with Lang when their car collided Saturday at Hastings and Fast Congress streets with one driven by Harry Pamon, 38, 17729 Omira avenue, suffered a possible skull fracture, and also was taken to Receiving hospital. Pamon was uninjured. No one was held in connection with the accident."

Snippet: http://tinyurl.com/jswmls5

OCR Text at bottom: https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/97873454/