Author Topic: Frank Murther and the Dixon Family Tow Law  (Read 1489 times)

Offline elaineb37

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frank Murther and the Dixon Family Tow Law
« on: Saturday 22 August 15 15:23 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Dixon family who lived in Tow Law Durham.  My great grand aunt Sarah Isabella Norwood married John Dixon, they had eight children, one of which was Mary Clare born in 1894.

Sarah died in 1954 and very helpfully left a Will which I have a copy of.  At the time the Will was written in 1937 Mary would have been 43 and a spinster, she is very well provided for in the Will which stipulates that she is to be allowed to live in the family home owned by Sarah (who is now a widow) along with her widowed brother, and she is to collect the rent and income from the house and shop next door which is also owned by Sarah, however there is a rather astonishing clause in the Will which states: 

PROVIDED ALWAYS and I hereby DECLARE AND DIRECT that all gifts devises and bequest in this my Will contained in favour of my daughter the said Mary Clare Dixon are upon the express condition that she shall not marry Frank Murther of Back Bridge Street Tow Law aforesaid Miner.  And if she shall marry the said Frank Murther then from and after the date of such marriage my Trustees shall hold and stand possession of all the said gifts devices bequests herein contained in her favour upon trust for and to be transferred or paid to such of them my sons……….

I was wondering if anyone is researching or has in their family Frank Murther  and can shed any light on why Mary was to be disinherited if they were to marry!!  I believe that Mary died unmarried and am waiting for a copy of her death certificate to confirm this, I cannot find any trace of Frank in the usual records so far, although Sarah helpfully notes his address in her Will!

Sorry for the long post!
Harle Reed Norwood Dixon Heseltine

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Murther and the Dixon Family Tow Law
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 August 15 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The only reference I can see of a Frank Murther is on the 1911 -

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7JP-SC6

His birthplace in Durham so it's a possibility.

JJ

Offline elaineb37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 August 15 16:26 BST (UK) »
that date would place him in the same age group as Mary give or take a couple of years, it also occurred to me that although they knew him as Frank (and I have already searched for Francis) that might have been a middle name or even just a name he went by.

Incidentally the fact he was a miner wouldn't have been the issue I would have thought as Mary's father and brothers were also miners

Offline elaineb37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 August 15 12:17 BST (UK) »
I have just received Mary's death certificate - she died age 86 in the house her mother left, unmarried, I guess Sarah's Will had the desired effect!