Author Topic: born in Mudgee N.S.W around 1873 John SHEEDY  (Read 8724 times)

Offline Vixikins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
born in Mudgee N.S.W around 1873 John SHEEDY
« on: Tuesday 25 August 15 01:55 BST (UK) »
i was wondering if someone could help me find some info on my great great grandfather John (jack) SHEEDY. I have his marriage certificate to ellen rose, it states his father's name is Patrick Sheedy and his mothers name Katherine , I cant read her last name properly, its either "Thompson" or "Compson". I also have john's death certificate and it says his father's name is John and his mother is "unknown". A couple of years ago I found his and ellen's shared gravestone online.

I was told that john was a street fighter, I did find a jail rap sheet on a john sheedy (who had a few alias). I would like to know if that is indeed him, as we don't have any photos of anyone on the sheedy side past my great grandather

I would love to delve futher down the line on the sheedy side, my grandfather (who is deceased) told me many years ago that we we're related to the bushranger captain thunderbolt

Any help would be greatly appreciated  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: born in Mudgee N.S.W around 1873 John SHEEDY
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 02:19 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Welcome to RootsChat.   I have some offline resources for around the Mudgee area and will have a look for you.

You mention a jail rap sheet .... may I ask which Gaol and if the document is resourced from the NSW State Records office?

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/court-records/index-to-criminal-depositions-received-1849-1921

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Vixikins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 02:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Jm , thank you for the kind welcome  :)

oh thanks that would be awesome !
his rap sheet number is 12765, it was up Sydney somewhere. i don't have a physical copy of it, its saved on my computer and it doesn't state what jail  :(

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 02:37 BST (UK) »
1878 NSW Electoral Roll  MUDGEE
Edward SHEEDY, residence Lawson’s Creek
Morgan SHEEDY, leasehold, Lawson’s Creek

Cannot find SHEEDY listed on the 1870 MUDGEE ER, nor at Greville’s 1875 PO directory under MUDGEE (Lawson’s Creek included under Mudgee, just none listed with surname SHEEDY). 

I can see at the online index for NSW BDM births,
that a Patrick and Mary SHEEDY are listed as parents for:
Jane Mary, birth registered Parramatta 1870  (#14988)
AND
that a Patrick Michael and Mary SHEEDY are listed as parents for
Margaret Annie, birth registered at Parramatta 1871 (#15539)

I see a Patrick M SHEEDY married a Mary SIMPSON in 1869, registered Liverpool (#2540)

Jack SHEEDY married Ellen O’ROURKE, registered at Captain’s Flat 1894 (#3066) and possible children including John W in 1895, registered Captain’s Flat (#2476)

At the NSW State Records Office online INDEX there’s a Patrick Michael SHEEDY, a Chemist, at Parramatta who had some financial difficulties 1873-1876….   The actual files can mention spouse/children and alternative locations for the insolvent.
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/bankruptcy-insolvency-records/index-to-insolvency-records

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 02:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Could you please give us a couple of things if available.

John's marriage when and where and his death when and where.  Also the burial location for John and Ellen.

Thanks
Gerry

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 02:46 BST (UK) »
I don't understand how you can have a 'jail rap sheet' with Photo etc and it not mention the Gaol/s .... usually the Gaol/s are recorded to the right of the photo on the NSW State Records Office archives. 

Cheers,  JM

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 02:50 BST (UK) »
Could this be the fellow
NSW BDM Births 1860-1890
WILLIAM JOHN SHEEHY, FATHER PATRICK, MOTHER KATE, AT COOMA REF # 20555/1881

Neil    
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Vixikins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 02:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM, i appreciate it. That could possibly be my GGG grandfather, its a good leed thank you  :)
i was able to copy the rap sheet when ancestry had a free access day. idk if i can post the page on here or not :-[ it states that he was sentenced to hard labour a few times

hello Gerry  :)

John married ellen rose O'Rourke in captains flat N.S.W in 1894. He died on the 9th of September in 1930 age 57, in District hospital Wollongong municipality . he and his wife ellen are buried in bulli cemetery in the church of England section

Offline Vixikins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 02:58 BST (UK) »
Could this be the fellow
NSW BDM Births 1860-1890
WILLIAM JOHN SHEEHY, FATHER PATRICK, MOTHER KATE, AT COOMA REF # 20555/1881

Neil

that could possibly be him,  one of johns son's middle name's is William. on johns marriage cert and d.c it doesn't give a middle name.