Author Topic: date for Lilian SUTTON and bicycle  (Read 1757 times)

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: date for Lilian SUTTON and bicycle
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 15:11 BST (UK) »
The lady's dress suggests pre WW1 and the bicycle, I believe, is fairly new. It has a caliper brake on the rear wheel but no brake on the front. I would have expected the brake/s to be roller lever so it must have been an early model of cable brake.

Regards

AJ

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hello maddys52,
     Your G.Grandmother's bicycle must have been her pride and joy if she had it shipped out to Australia. She probably spent time and trouble keeping it clean and shiny, so might not be easy putting an age on it.
     Maybe the plants in the photograph could help pinpoint where it was taken. Perhaps keen gardeners among Rootschatters could have a close look at the bush behind the lady. I thought elderberry by the shape of the leaves but I'm not sure if that is a bract type flower on the end of some of the branches or just leaves.
     Don't recognise the ground cover plant either. Anyone any ideas?
     Treasure your lovely photograph, wherever it was taken.
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 21:19 BST (UK) »
The lady's dress suggests pre WW1 and the bicycle, I believe, is fairly new. It has a caliper brake on the rear wheel but no brake on the front. I would have expected the brake/s to be roller lever so it must have been an early model of cable brake.

Regards

AJ

Thanks AJ! I didn't think of researching the bicycle, have no idea how much development would be expected at different time periods, but will definitely do a little digging now (to get up to speed ;))

Thanks again  :)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hello maddys52,
     Your G.Grandmother's bicycle must have been her pride and joy if she had it shipped out to Australia. She probably spent time and trouble keeping it clean and shiny, so might not be easy putting an age on it.
     Maybe the plants in the photograph could help pinpoint where it was taken. Perhaps keen gardeners among Rootschatters could have a close look at the bush behind the lady. I thought elderberry by the shape of the leaves but I'm not sure if that is a bract type flower on the end of some of the branches or just leaves.
     Don't recognise the ground cover plant either. Anyone any ideas?
     Treasure your lovely photograph, wherever it was taken.
               Regards,     Dod.

Thank you Dod for your great observations! I'm afraid I just look at a leaf and think "that's a tree", so I might put the photo on the recognition board and see if any keen gardeners have any suggestions.

I do treasure these photographs of my grandmother's, especially the one's she annotated!

Thanks again  :)

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 21:57 BST (UK) »
When/where did she marry? She's wearing a ring.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 22:11 BST (UK) »
When/where did she marry? She's wearing a ring.

Thanks for your interest StanleysChesterton,

Yes she is wearing a ring - she was married in December 1901 at Hoxton, and they lived in Islington. (My grandmother was born in June 1902 - make of that what you will!), so I realised the photo was post 1901, and by the looks of her I'd guess after the birth, which is why I thought it may have been later in the decade. But as Carol noted, the back of the post card indicates earlier.

Thanks again! :)