Author Topic: Help needed with Sidney Charles Beavis please  (Read 3818 times)

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with Sidney Charles Beavis please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 20:45 BST (UK) »
Damn it!! Lol father was Charles as well!! Mother Clara Cotterell

Good try though
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 August 15 21:24 BST (UK) »
The only other thing I know is that in the 1940s he was in Edmonton and then Castor, Alberta, I don't know if he lived there or was visiting as its on the back of some photos.

Do you have the photographs?  Might there be any clues in the photos?

Strange that he doesn't appear on voters lists - maybe he was moving around and that's why he was missed, plus WW2 etc.
Sandra
Would he have had to become a Canadian citizen to vote, or would he have been allowed to vote (as a British subject)?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 August 15 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa, thanks for your help, I can get copies of the photos. Don't know about the voting but I think you're probably right. Wasn't there a landowners census or similar in 1940 though?

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 August 15 00:33 BST (UK) »
father was Charles as well!! Mother Clara Cotterell

Could he have gone by the name of Charles when he was in Canada?  Although, I've not been able to find him with either name.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 August 15 00:52 BST (UK) »
This doesn't exactly help find him, but on 17 Oct 1928 Sidney Charles Beavis aged 24, born Bedminster Down, Bristol was convicted of shop & store breaking & sentenced to 6 months.  He was a farm labourer & his intended address on release was Gloucester.  He was 5ft 11 1/2 and had a scar on his left thumb plus a bird & Indian's head on his right forearm.

Looks like he had a few previous convictions behind him & went to Canada shortly after being released, so unless he suddenly went on the straight & narrow maybe you need to be looking for newspapers / police records  :-\
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 August 15 03:11 BST (UK) »
Jomot's post was interesting and something to keep in mind.

This also doesn't really help, but I wonder if he could have left Canada at some point?  Looking at the image of the passenger list that contained Mr. Beavis' name, I chose not-so-common names to see if I could determine if they remained in Canada.  It appears that several men who were shown on the same page as Mr. Beavis may have returned to the UK:
P. F. Tucker
W. E. Kellond
H. C. Dignan
J. C. Pedrazzini
N. A. Dancy
Perhaps Canada wasn't what the men thought it would be and eventually returned home?  Possibly Mr. Beavis left Canada as well?

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 August 15 06:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks both, I had spotted the conviction but couldn't view the details, maybe changed his name when he arrived to make a new start!! Think this one is going to be just a little bit awkward lol.

Copies of the photos coming this weekend, maybe they will help or show those tattoos.

Thanks again.

Kev

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 28 August 15 08:33 BST (UK) »
Turns out that my auntie knew he had been to prison,so that's definitely him,  she says her mum once thought that he had joined the Canadian armed forces. Is there anyway I can check to see?

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile