Author Topic: Ivy Cottage in Corwen  (Read 2584 times)

Offline corwendave

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ivy Cottage in Corwen
« on: Thursday 27 August 15 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm new to this way of tracing family history etc so I'm going to start with something quite easy but would mean the world to me. I'm wondering if anybody has a photograph of Ivy Cottage which stood in Hill Street, Corwen in what was at one time Merionethshire. This cottage is where my mother and her brothers grew up. They also lived at number 3 Vale View again in Hill Street, Corwen but just below where Ivy Cottage stood. I don't know why it was demolished or when. But I do know that it stood there in the period of 1920 through to at least 1930. My mother has passed away and I would love to have a copy of this cottage where she lived. My mothers name was Joyce Margaret Hughes, Her three brothers were Frederick Hughes, killed in WWII on board HMS Royal Oak which was torpedoed at Scapa Flow in the Orkneys. Her other two brothers were Glynn David Hughes and Alfred Thomas Hughes. My grandmother was called Flossie Daisy Hughes nee Printer, her husband (my grandfather) was called Edward David Hughes. My great grandparents (parents of Edward David Hughes) were Ambrose Hughes (Tailor and postman in and around Corwen), his wife was named Hanna Laura Hughes nee Jones, she had a brother who was a gamekeeper who I believe had the nickname of Ginger Jones. My grandfather, Edward David Hughes was an engine driver on the GWR in Corwen. My grandmother was a cleaner and maid for a Dr Satchwell, apparently Dr Satchwell's wife was also a doctor and their surgery stood in the main street on the other side of the road from the pub named 'The Crown' and a little way further along the street up towards the old railway station. My grandmother died in 1928 aged 28 years old. She is buried in Corwen Churchyard which is just behind Mill Street which runs just behind Hill Street. Her death was made so much worse by the fact that her eldest child was aged approx 5-6 years old and her youngest, my mum was only 13-14 months old also my grandmother died in December 1928, I don't know the date in December but she was actually buried on Christmas Eve in 1928 aged 26 years old. When my grandmother's in-laws Ambrose and Hanna Laura passed away they were both buried in the same grave as my grandmother. Any information about anything connected to my family in anyway at all would be appreciated. Also my mum told me that when she aged 4 years old that she attended a school that was just up the road from Ivy Cottage, I haven't been able to locate anything about this school at all. I do believe that this school was named the old school, whether that was the school's real title I don't as my mother herself couldn't but I located one person who happened to mention the old school, any photos and information would be terrific. Also does anyone know the name of the daughter of the landlord of the 'Dudley Arms' in Llandrillo in 1939.this would be quite interesting to know as my uncle Frederick who died on HMS Royal Oak in 1939 was actually going out with this young lady. My uncle was 16 when he died so I'm guessing that the girl would have been around the same age as he. As I have said I would love to hear from anyone who may have any information or a photo or anything really. Thank you for reading this post.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ivy Cottage in Corwen
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 August 15 20:41 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat

In case you are not familiar with it,here are some entries from the free online Welsh Newspaper database relating to "Ivy Cottage Corwen"(for searches of phrases use quotation marks).There may be other searches you could benefit from e.g. peoples names.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01g0f/

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 August 15 20:57 BST (UK) »
This map shows the presence of The British School in Bridge Street,which is not too far from Hill Street.Perhaps this was it.There is a limit to the magnification available without membership,though you can use Windows Zoom or similar to enhance.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/307500/343500/12/100915

The National School was in London Road(also on the map).Difficult to say which would be the nearer.
Regards
Roger

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 August 15 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, welcome to Rootschat  :)

According to this website the Davies family took over the Dudley Arms in 1917 and the family were associated with it for 73 years!
http://www.llandrillo.demon.co.uk/llandrillo/dudleyarms/index.htm

The Landlord's name was Owen Davies - just need to track down the daughter
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/restaurants-bars/pub-very-heart-community-2887476

The landlord's wife was possibly Sarah Ellen Davies
http://search.digido.org.uk/?id=llgc-id%3A1468461&query=
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline corwendave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 August 15 11:36 BST (UK) »
Many many thanks.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 August 15 16:36 BST (UK) »
A very warm welcome to Rootschat.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/102184159

Hill St isn't marked but you can work it out on this map. May be easier to read than old-maps - use + to zoom.