Author Topic: Adlem family  (Read 5987 times)

Offline jonno1248

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adlem family
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 29 August 15 15:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for all the suggestions and ideas re Queenie.

To clarify things a bit more, Kenneth Leslie  Adlem, was one I started out with. He was “said “ to be illigetimate, born here, but conceived in India where mother was working, and came home to have him.
Rumour had it he was brought up by his Grandparents. Nothing much was/is known about mother other than her name was Queenie.
Kenneth was born on the 4/12 /1936 in Seale,Surrey, and on his birth cert , his mothers name is given as Queenie Mary Adlem, and no father shown.  From that info, I then found 2 records re passenger lists for a Mary Adlem,(1936/39) where she gave her  address as Seale, and then found Arthur and Ruby living there. Also found wedding giving her name as Blake. From that found Arthur’s parents as Cosmo and Mary jane House.
However no sign of birth/death of Queenie. I admit she could have been illegitimate, but still would have thought cert should be around as can find no record of Arthur etc going abroad., and it also may be that she (Queenie) went back abroad after the war, where she died.
jonno

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 29 August 15 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Have you discounted Fanny M J Adlem born amj 1914 mmn Blake as suggested in previous post, perhaps Queenie was a nickname and she did nt use Fanny?

Cathy :)
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 29 August 15 16:17 BST (UK) »
If Arthur's father was Cosmo Adlem, there is a good chance that he is the brother of William Charles Adlem, as that was also his father's name -the marriage certificate is on Ancestry. Unless there are two Cosmo Adlems. William also had a daughter called Mary - see earlier post.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 5uzanne99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi All
I too have been trying to track down Queenie Adlem, it may well be my tree on Ancetsry that is referred to in previous comments.
Ruby Blake/Adlem is my Great Aunt and i have done a fair bit of research into her and her Sisters: Dorothy, Emily (Lou), Lily (my Gran) and Hetty (Win) and her brothers Charles and Sidney, i dont have much on the brothers but i have a fair bit on the girls.
Ruby was born in 1889 in Reading then moved to Southampton.  She married Arthur Reginald Adlem in 1913 in Southampton and as previously stated in other messages subsequently moved to Seale (Farnham) and then Market Harborough.
Arthur died in 1965 and Ruby died aged 97 in 1987. she was at the time living in a care home for the blin]d in Market Harborough. My G Aunt doll lived to 96, G Aunt Lou to 90 and Lily died 'young' at just 85 !!
Arthur and Ruby's son Albert Jack was born in 1916 and died in 1997.
I too was told by my Mum and Aunt about Queenie and that she had a child Ken whom Ruby brought up as his illegitimate birth caused  friction between Arthur and Queenie. as other messages state Kenneth Leslie Adlem was born on 4/11/1936 and his Birth Cert confirms address to be Manor Farm Cottages. i have traced Kenneth further: he married Beryl Facer in 1959.  i was told he had 2 daughters and i am trying to track them but with little success.  i was also told that Queenie later got married and lived in swindon and had 3 childen but again dead ends.
i wasn't aware of the India story but would like to know more about this.

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzanne99,
Welcome to Rootschat :)
Hopefully Jonno will be notified of your post and get back to you and you can compare notes.
If Queenie lived in Swindon then possibly my previous musings in this post might be a lead as to her possible birth , marriage and death.
Have found probable children of Beryl and Kenneth with further details but we  can t mention living people on Rootschat. If you make two more posts or replies then you can send and receive personal messages.
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline 5uzanne99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 16:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the advice.  Will do.

Offline jonno1248

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 24 September 15 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzanne,
If you would like to contact me on the following email
(*)   then I can fill you in on the part I know
Looking forward to hearing from you
John

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline SteveA53

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 19 March 17 18:54 GMT (UK) »
This thread is referring to my father Albert Jack Adlem and his parents, his sister, known as Queenie and her illegitemate son, my cousin Kenneth.

All now deceased.  I can confirm that Queenie had 3 other children who did live in Swindon, where she died. And that Ken had two daughters, at least one of whom I have as a Facebook contact.

I would like to look a little further back at Ruby Caroline nee Blake.

I have photos that show her sisters also mentioned in this thread, and of her and Arthur soon after they married, taken at the farm near Southampton where they were at the time.

Someone mentioned that there was no indication Arthur had travelled, which ignores that he served in WW1, in France.

If anyone is till monitoring this thread I would appreciate some contact.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

Your reply to this thread will have sent an email notification to the other members who are following this thread, hopefully you should get a reply very soon.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk